So I'm making an item pack.

Loké

...so I'm back to the ol' editing. Right, the idea with this particuler pack is very simply. There's lots of different weapons, but selection wise it's a bit of a cop-out; I mean, yes, there are some good daggers and flails, but barring the Dagger of Stars and the multi-headed Flail of Ages, it seems there's not alot of selection. Especially if you put it next to the sword selection. However, even some of them-such as scimitar and shorts sword/wazastki-are shortchanged compared to say, longsword.

Hence I'm working on an item pack. So far I've made a few daggers and the format is generic.

The daggers are +2, hit for +2 elemental damage and have a chance to do something which I feel fits the style.

So the acid dagger can do some delayed acid damage (4 damage over two seconds), and the dagger that does cold damage has a chance to slow the target for three seconds.

I've also built a vampric dagger, that steals two health (had to do two opcodes for that-one that uses the Current Health opcode to increase your health by two and another to decrease the settarget by -2) and a 20% chance to cash Larloch's Minor Drain.

Essentially right now I'm trying to knock out some weapons-daggers in this case-that give you a choice over Celestial Fury or the Flail of Ages, or whatnot. Because I don't know about you, but I'm getting fed up finding that there's no choice if you don't go the usual road.

Point of this thread's threefold:

1. Feedback-are they too powerful, too boring, ect?

2. I need a little help with the BAMs. I'm looking to mix-and-match bits of the default daggers' bams to create new bams for these-I can't remember how to do it though, and can't find an url for the editing (I did check, honest!).

3. Suggestions. Think a property would be better? Got an idea for one of the less populer weapons? Feel free to suggest.

I'm not too familiar with BG2, so I can't comment on item power there. You should be fine if you use existing in-game items as guidelines (though some of those might be overpowered). I'm doing something similar for the revamped Lost Items for the BG1 platforms.

Re: BAMs, I gave some advice in this post a while back. Not much has changed since then, though you might want to try Eirik's Gimp filter if you're doing any description BAMs. Which I would recommend rather than using the generic in-game ones, to really give your items a custom feel.

I'm not too familiar with BG2, so I can't comment on item power there. You should be fine if you use existing in-game items as guidelines (though some of those might be overpowered). I'm doing something similar for the revamped Lost Items for the BG1 platforms.

Re: BAMs, I gave some advice in this post a while back. Not much has changed since then, though you might want to try Eirik's Gimp filter if you're doing any description BAMs. Which I would recommend rather than using the generic in-game ones, to really give your items a custom feel.

(shrugs) In all honesty I'm not sure I can edit thouse-I'm going to have enough trouble with just the (relatively) simple icons. :)

The item power doesn't seem to bad, particularly for daggers, as they don't do much damage and tend to be relegated to mages and off hand attacks for two-weapon users.

I do agree that scimitars and wakizashis need a little more representation in the game. An idea for these (or a dagger, come to that) would be a weapon that includes a bonus to AC and a small bonus to hit, trading off offence for parrying ability.

An idea for these (or a dagger, come to that) would be a weapon that includes a bonus to AC and a small bonus to hit, trading off offence for parrying ability.

You know, it's funny you should say that-I was thinking of doing that with an axe.

I'm torn between doing a standard format for this (Ie, an elemental set for the shortswords with the same properties as the daggers) and doing unique ones. I'll probably end up doing a hybrid of the two.

I think I might make the shortsword of backstabbing live up to it's name-and give it a +1 (or even 2) to the backstab multiplier.

Archived