Monking Around

Domi

Oookay, I checked into BG2 vs IWD2 monk avatars (on the advice from someone who told me that monks' animations in IWD2 were just fighters) and discovered a couple of interesting things:

-IWD2 has all the animations and the proper Animation header for the Female and Male Monks

-It does not assign them to a monk player character at creation. Instead it assigns the fighter animation

-I assigned the header to Prachi, and her animation changed, ie different colors on her clothes.

-I played with it for a few moments but I haven't seen any kicks from her. She seems to be doing the same movement that the second Prachi with the fighter's animations.

Hence, I need your advice, guys, on two issues.

-Is there a way to make sure monk's avatars get assigned to monks at character creation in IWD2? (As opposite to me switching it via spell?)

-Was BG2 animation for monks very pronounced, ie they kicked all the time or the kicks were rare so I simply missed it in my tiny fight?

I'm going to do another test dumping BG2 animations into IWD2 override, and see if it changes things.

Okay, it makes no difference: the colors and look change a little bit, but the movements remain the same.

Male avatars is the same as the female ones. I'm wondering if I am not finding all the animations perhaps or something like that?

I'm also guessing that it is related to the fact that you can make any race a monk, but in BG2 it was just humans.... At any rate, for at least Prachi, I'd like to find those kicks etc.

I've copied over the

CHFM1**.BAM series. Do I need to be looking at anything else?

Hmm, I think it was hardcoded in BG2. If you were a monk, you got the special animation, and if you weren't, you didn't (even if you had the monk animation assigned). I don't know anything about ID2, though. :(

It was probably keyed into having the monk animation and an MFIST weapon equipped, but it's been too long since I checked to remember.

Makes sense to me. So, I'm guessing that it misses in IWD2 because they didn't want to add it for other races.

Well, if anyone has a good hunch as to how enable it on at least 1 custom character, I'm all ears.

Did you give Prachi a two handed weapon? The punchy-kicky stuff monks do is their two-handed melee attack sequence (cause mfist.itm is a two-handed weapon with no equipped appearance and the implementation of monks is bizarre in BG2).

I doubt that too, because they must be using different mechanism all together. Oh, well, I guess different clothes is something still. Thanks for letting me know, saves me time trying to equip the thing on her.

Copying mfist over won't do anything - the point is that the animation cycles in chfm1a* are for a no-animation two handed weapon.

I don't know how or if it's possible to add new animations to IWD II, though, and replacing part of the fighter animations in IDW II with the BG2 monk animations isn't going to look very good.

It already has those animations, so you don't need to add them. (I think). But what I could not do in a really quick try was to equip MFIST on the CRE via NI from the oVerride. It was browsing the ITMs only. I know it sounds idiotic, but well, here it is. I was going to try to summon it in the game but didn't get to it yet.

EDIT: OKay, now I did, and it promptly crashed the game.

It already has those animations, so you don't need to add them. (I think).

You're right, but it doesn't use them (or else you wouldn't have to do anything!) Which animation you get when a character is created is handled by the .exe and can't be readily changed - I was assuming that you'd want to replace the unarmed attack sequence that human fighters use with the monk attack sequence.

Mfist should be abandoned to its fate in the game that spawned it ;)

This won't crash (far as I know, anyway, and if I boot up the game I'll end up playing it which I don't have time for ;) but it'll work for two handed weapons only.

COPY_EXISTING ~chfm1a1.bam~ ~override/chfb1a1.bam~ // 1-h overhead
		  ~chfm1a2.bam~ ~override/chfb1a2.bam~ // 2-h overhead
		  ~chfm1a3.bam~ ~override/chfb1a3.bam~ // 1-h slash
		  ~chfm1a4.bam~ ~override/chfb1a4.bam~ // 2-h slash
		  ~chfm1a5.bam~ ~override/chfb1a5.bam~ // 1-h stab
		  ~chfm1a6.bam~ ~override/chfb1a6.bam~ // 2-h stab
		  ~chfm1a7.bam~ ~override/chfb1a7.bam~ // dual-wield overhead
		  ~chfm1a8.bam~ ~override/chfb1a8.bam~ // dual-wield slash
		  ~chfm1a9.bam~ ~override/chfb1a9.bam~ // dual-wield stab
		  ~chfm1ca.bam~ ~override/chfb1ca.bam~ // casting animation
		  ~chfm1g11.bam~ ~override/chfb1g11.bam~ // walking animation
		  ~chfm1sa.bam~ ~override/chfb1sa.bam~ // bow animation
		  ~chfm1ss.bam~ ~override/chfb1ss.bam~ // sling animation
		  ~chfm1sx.bam~ ~override/chfb1sx.bam~ // crossbow animation

You can see how it's not exactly optimal - the animations themselves would need so editing to make it work with 1-handed weapons ;)

/edit

Okay, I lied :D it works fine, though I'd be inclined to do it this way instead:

COPY_EXISTING ~chfm1a2.bam~ ~override/chfb1a1.bam~ // 1-h overhead
		  ~chfm1a2.bam~ ~override/chfb1a2.bam~ // 2-h overhead
		  ~chfm1a4.bam~ ~override/chfb1a3.bam~ // 1-h slash
		  ~chfm1a4.bam~ ~override/chfb1a4.bam~ // 2-h slash
		  ~chfm1a6.bam~ ~override/chfb1a5.bam~ // 1-h stab
		  ~chfm1a6.bam~ ~override/chfb1a6.bam~ // 2-h stab
		  ~chfm1a7.bam~ ~override/chfb1a7.bam~ // dual-wield overhead
		  ~chfm1a8.bam~ ~override/chfb1a8.bam~ // dual-wield slash
		  ~chfm1a9.bam~ ~override/chfb1a9.bam~ // dual-wield stab
		  ~chfm1ca.bam~ ~override/chfb1ca.bam~ // casting animation
		  ~chfm1g11.bam~ ~override/chfb1g11.bam~ // walking animation
		  ~chfm1sa.bam~ ~override/chfb1sa.bam~ // bow animation
		  ~chfm1ss.bam~ ~override/chfb1ss.bam~ // sling animation
		  ~chfm1sx.bam~ ~override/chfb1sx.bam~ // crossbow animation

Fighters will stop kicking once they don some armour.

Archived