I'm looking for a saying...

Domi

that will express something like 'the heroism/bravery/honor/some other good quality' lies not in doing the *easy* thing, ie challenge or going against the circumstances is what really makes the person worty of repect or good at what s/he does. Anyone knows anything like that? Thank you!

I put in the 'those who have it easy rarely make heroes' for now, but if a more colorful quote turns up, I'll replace it. Heh, I found so many other cool proverbs while searching for something suitable that this talk now looks oversaturated in them even for her. I really liked the 'better to light a candle than curse darkness.'

This thread reminded me of something I'd heard/read a long time back and all I could remember was "only in darkness, light". It took me the past 2 hours to find it:

Only in silence, the word

Only in darkness, light

Only in dying life

Bright the hawk’s flight on the empty sky.

It's from Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea trilogy.

Prolly a bit OT...;)

"Long is the way

And hard, that out of Hell leads up to light." -John Milton, Paradise Lost

"Fortune favors him who dares." -Virgil, The Aeneid

"Great deeds are usually wrought at great risks." -Herodotus, Histories

"As a rock on the seashore he standeth firm, and the dashing of the waves disturbeth him not. He raiseth his head like a tower on a hill, and the arrows of fortune drop at his feet. In the instant of danger, the courage of his heart here, and scorn to fly."

-- Akhenaton

"The scars you acquire while exercising courage will never make you feel inferior."

-- D.A. Battista

"Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not, knows no release from little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear."

-- Amelia Earhart

"One man with courage makes a majority."

-- Andrew Jackson

"I think of those who were truly great. The names of those who in their lives fought for life, Who wore at their hearts the fire's center."

-- Stephen Spender

"A strong man and a waterfall always channel their own path."

-- Unknown

Heya, thank you everyone. They are all pretty good, but just a little bit off what I need to illistrate. I guess it's more of an idea that the place of one is not where it's the easiest for her to be, but where she do the most good deeds. I know I am confusing everyone here ;)

Guest Guest
Heya, thank you everyone. They are all pretty good, but just a little bit off what I need to illistrate. I guess it's more of an idea that the place of one is not where it's the easiest for her to be, but where she do the most good deeds. I know I am confusing everyone here ;)

For some reason, that makes perfect sense. ;) isn't there something like that in LOTR? What did Gandalf say to Frodo about being the ring-bearer?

Archived