I'm looking for a saying...

Domi

Elrond to Frodo: 'But it is a heavy burden. So heavy that none could lay it on another. I do not lay it on you. But if you take it freely, I will say that your choice is right; and though all the mighty elf-friends of old, Hador, and Hurin, and Turin, and Beren himself were assembled together, your seat should be among them.'

Heh, I need something that sounds like a folk wisdom. I guess, I'll do Jordan, pretend to be 'folk' and invent one, lol! Something like 'The boots’ place aren’t by the fire, but in the mud.'

The courageous relent not in adversities. (partial quote)

* Valluvar Tirukkural 597

Strength and courage aren't always measured in medals and victories. They are measured in the struggles they overcome. The strongest people aren't always the people who win, but the people who don't give up when they lose.

* Ashley Hodgeson

Or did you want something a little less formal sounding, like...umm...

You won't find courge hiding under the bed.

Okay, how about some proverbs?

"A gem is not polished without rubbing, nor a man perfected without trials." ~ Chinese

"He who would leap high must take a long run. " ~ Danish

"A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner. " ~ English

"He that promises most will perform least. " ~ Gaelic ;)

"Who begins too much accomplishes little. " ~ German (lol okay, now I'm meddling)

"You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was." ~ Irish

"Beginning is easy - Continuing is hard. " ~ Japanese

"Fall down seven times, get up eight. " ~ Japanese

Heh, I think that the "A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner. " is the winner, but I probably go with my 'boots' place is in the mud, not by the fire', because it custom-fits what the characters are saying.

Thanks everyone ;)

Archived