Projectile animations

Miloch

Is there a reference somewhere in the IESDP (or elsewhere) of the potential values for Projectile Animation in the extended item header at 0x2a? Maybe I'm missing something but I can't seem to find it anywhere, and it doesn't seem to match what's in animate.ids or projectl.ids or anything. Neither NI nor DLTCEP seem to provide accurate drop-downs for this value either.

projectl.ids is an accurate list, but the values in the extended header are +1 from it. A normal arrow is listed as 1 in projectl.ids, but you have to use 2 at 0x2a in an extended header for the engine to use it. projectl.ids is also incomplete, as there are many hardcoded projectiles in the engine itself and not in proper .pro files (bolts of lightning and Aganazzar's scorcher projectiles are two examples).

dltcep lists both missile.ids and projectl.ids. In other words it provides all available information.

Some entries are hardcoded and there is no information in the ids files.

Feel free to improve your own missile.ids.

What I was saying is that the default file already includes all but some of the last ToB projectiles, not that you have to add any or fill it out (as said, it's a reference IDS, not actually used for anything). I just wanted to know what "holes" Avenger was talking about.

Note: don't fill out PROJECTL with entries that don't have corresponding PRO files if you use NI.

As you (DevSin) yourself noted, not all projectiles exist in missile ids (tob projectiles don't).

As you/Galactygon also noted correctly, projectl.ids isn't good to add new names, because it changes the engine functionality, but missile.ids is perfect, because it isn't used by the engine.

This is why i said, you can use missile.ids. dltcep lists both and i think the dropdown menu works too.

As you (DevSin) yourself noted, not all projectiles exist in missile ids (tob projectiles don't).
Without looking at the file, I'm reasonably certain that it includes almost all of them, though. It should already be complete for almost any projectile you'd want to find in BG2 (and almost certainly BG, but I've never checked).

Ok... well I went and checked it for BG2 and it looked ok. So I messed with the settings in my Tutu profile and found that if you turn off "BG1 style area header (direction exits)", the projectile dropdown shows up. AFAIK, Tutu does use BG1-style area headers, though in any case, I don't know why this would affect projectile animations. :)

No it doesn't. Tutu uses bg2 engine which should be using bg2 settings.

Basically you tell dltcep to ignore projectl.ids (because bg1 has no projectl.ids) and use missile.ids only as secondary info (because dltcep detects you got tob at this point).

So, yeah, dltcep didn't expect this particular combination of settings, but you can safely turn off the bg1 area type to make it work correctly.

Archived