Crash when entering the new area

atron

Hi, I'm new here and a complete idiot when it comes to mods and how they work, so this is probably something I've done. I'm having a problem rescueing Amber when she is abducted by slavers. I have the map and the note, and I'm using it in the streets, but the game just closes on me. As far as I know I don't have any mods that aren't compatible with Amber. I should also add that on an older game (same mods as I have now) I was able to rescue Amber. Like I said, this is probably my fault. Thanks for your time.

Hi! I spilt this from the compatibility topic, partly because as far as I know this isn't caused by a mod incompatibility. It's a kind of an 'known issue', though and that's why you were right when posting it to that thread. However I've seen this before and since solving it might get a bit long winded, a separate topic is better.

First of all, when the game crashes does it do that during the load screen or do you see the new area flash before you before the game crashes? If it crashes during load screen it's most likely caused by the "tilesets not unpacking" -issue. I've described that below.

----------------------------

The mysterious "tilesets not unpacking" -issue

At this point I don't know why this is happening for some (at least for two) users.

If the game crashes during load screen after you use 'the map' in Amber's third quest, it indicates that the area graphics (tilesets) were not unpacked during the installation. Because the unpacking has to be handled via a separate .bat file instead of in WeiDU the installation won't stop even if there's an error. If you come across this issue any information you can provide would be very helpful:

During gameplay, can you hear the Amber's voicing?

During gameplay, can you hear Amber's custom music playing during Amber's talks?

(So that I know if it's just the tilesets or audio as well that's refusing to unpack.)

Is there a file called tisunpack.exe in your override folder?

Is there a file called m#ar01.tiz or m#ar01.tis in your override folder?

What version of widows you're running? Or are you a Mac user? (this doen't seem to be relevant, though)

What firewall and/or antivirus program you have? (I ask because I suspect that it's possible that a overzealous safety program or setting might prevent unknown .bat files from prompting programs, like tisunpack.exe. Though, that didn't seem to be the cause in SkyWolfs case.)

Can I have a copy of Amber's debugfile (setup-amber.debug), before you do any uninstalling? You can send it to <amber@welho.net>.

Can I have a copy of weidu.log? (I don't think that this is a conflict issue, but since I have no clue what's causing this it's better to look for even to unlikely suspects.)

In some cases simply uninstalling and then installing Amber again has solved the issue (Ie. the tilesets failing to unpack has been simply a very, very annoying hiccup.)

If you do uninstall and install again, can you please take a look on the text displayed in the command prompt window, before WeiDU asks if you want to install the multiplayer friendly flirting? If you see a long list that indicates what tile number has been converted and below the list a text that informs that so and so many tiles has been converted with method 0, so and so with method 1 etc. the tilesets have been successfully converted. If and when there's an error or warning text can you tell me what it says? (Unfortunately the .bat file that prompts the unpacking of the audio and area graphics can't be made to create an debug log of itself like WeiDU does.)

Hi, I'm new here and a complete idiot when it comes to mods. So bear with me please.

I've come to the part where Amber is kidnapped by slavers and I have gotten the map that leads me to Ymmrt's house. Everytime I try to use it in the slums the game just closes. Here's the catch though, on an earlier game I was able to rescue Amber, and I haven't changed anything to BG:II at all. Thanks for your time.

Hi, I'm new here and a complete idiot when it comes to mods. So bear with me please.

I've come to the part where Amber is kidnapped by slavers and I have gotten the map that leads me to Ymmrt's house. Everytime I try to use it in the slums the game just closes. Here's the catch though, on an earlier game I was able to rescue Amber, and I haven't changed anything to BG:II at all. Thanks for your time.

Oh... I'm sorry, I split your question to it's own topic, because I know from experience that it's caused by an issue that can be a be longwinded to sort out. I guess I should have left a not here. ;) Look here.

I just realised that you said that you had rescued her in an earlier game with the same setup. Then it's probably not the missing tileset issue (a relief!), but it wouldn't hurt to check the override for m#ar01.tiz or .tis file. Did you do any uninstalling and re-installing between the two games?

I just realised that you said that you had rescued her in an earlier game with the same setup. Then it's probably not the missing tileset issue (a relief!), but it wouldn't hurt to check the override for m#ar01.tiz or .tis file. Did you do any uninstalling and re-installing between the two games?

Yeah I did. I re-installed some things on the Ease-Of-Use Mod. But all I changed was the shorter versions of the dreams. So I'm not sure how that would affect it. I'll check on the other stuff as well.

Okay, but the positive thing - if this is indeed caused by the missing tilesets - is that they have been unpacked successfully before. In some cases they have completely refused to do that and the user had to unpack them manually with tisunpack.

I didn't actually ask you to use tisunpack! There's no need for that unless anthing else doesn't work. I don't even know yet for sure if it's the missing tilesets that are causing this.

Is there a file called tisunpack.exe in your override folder? (There shouldn't be after you've installed Amber)

When Amber is installed, is there a file called m#ar01.tiz or m#ar01.tis in your override folder? (This is important)

In some cases simply uninstalling and then installing Amber again has solved the issue (Ie. the tilesets failing to unpack has been simply a very, very annoying hiccup.)

Can I have a copy of Amber's debugfile (setup-amber.debug), before you do any uninstalling? You can send it to <amber@welho.neti>.

If you do uninstall and install again, can you please take a look on the text displayed in the command prompt window, before WeiDU asks if you want to install the multiplayer friendly flirting? If you see a long list that indicates what tile number has been converted and below the list a text that informs that so and so many tiles has been converted with method 0, so and so with method 1 etc. the tilesets have been successfully converted. If and when there's an error or warning text can you tell me what it says? (Unfortunately the .bat file that prompts the unpacking of the audio and area graphics can't be made to create an debug log of itself like WeiDU does.)

Sorry about misinterpreting the bit about the tisunpack.exe. Yeah I got m#ar01.tiz in my override folder.

About the debug folder...I'm not sure I can send a copy because I don't think I have anything on my computer that can read it. But then, I'm probably just being ignorant.

Sorry about misinterpreting the bit about the tisunpack.exe. Yeah I got m#ar01.tiz in my override folder.

It's alright. If possible, you should now uninstall Amber (send the debug file before that, though). Then install Amber again and when the program asks if you want to install the second component (multiplayer friendly flirting) look if you see any error messages above. If you do se error messages, what they say? You can scroll the command prompt window up and down just like any other window.

If you don't see any error messages, but rather a long list that indicates what tile number has been converted and below the list a text that informs that so and so many tiles has been converted with method 0, so and so with method 1 etc. the tilesets have been successfully converted.

I'm hopeful that re-installing will solve this issue for you, since you the mod has been previously successfully installed in your system.

About the debug folder...I'm not sure I can send a copy because I don't think I have anything on my computer that can read it. But then, I'm probably just being ignorant.

The setup-amber.debug file can be opened in any text editor (textpad, notepad, ms word etc.). Widows won't do that automatically if you double click the file, though. You have either to select the text editor you want to use from the list that Windows presents you when you double click the file or open the file directly from the text editor like any other text file.

Guest Jokie51

I am having a problem with crashes in Ymmert's antechamber. I have tried reinstalling, the tilesets unpacked with no error message and the .tiz file is present in the override. The antechamber flashes, the screen goes black the program runs a few seconds and then crashes. v3 ran fine with almost the same mods installed though I did install a couple of sections from ease of use though what I installed doesn't have any relation that I can fathom. I sent you the debug file. Thanks

Archived