What happened?

Hey everyone. I was wondering what happened with my BG2 game. It worked fine yesterday and today when trying to load the game I get the following message:

An Assertion failed in ChDimm.cpp at line number 634

Programmer says: Unable to Open Bif:data:MISSound.bif

Can this be remedied easily, or do I have to ;) (gulp) reinstall. Please help. Thanks a bunch. I have Mac OS X 10.4.9.

Hey everyone. I was wondering what happened with my BG2 game. It worked fine yesterday and today when trying to load the game I get the following message:

An Assertion failed in ChDimm.cpp at line number 634

Programmer says: Unable to Open Bif:data:MISSound.bif

Can this be remedied easily, or do I have to ;) (gulp) reinstall. Please help. Thanks a bunch. I have Mac OS X 10.4.9.

Try clearing out your "cache", "temp", and "tempsave" directories.

Try checking this topic. Though that one isn't mentioned specifically, I'd guess it's either a memory issue or a corrupted file. If you can't tweak your memory settings (not sure how that works on a Mac), you might have to do a full/custom reinstall. And make sure your media doesn't have defects (scratches, smears etc.) so the file copies properly.

If I did a reinstall, would I have to reinstall the patches I did? thanks.
Yeah, and any mods you're using (like the Fixpack). You should be able to keep your savegames though - just copy the subfolders off somewhere and copy them back to your save folder after the reinstall.

I remember this issue, but I don't remember why it happened or what fixed it. I can tell you that it's probably not a memory issue and not a corrupt file, for whatever that's worth.

Try copying all the contents of the data folder from the installer CD (Disc 1) directly to your BG2 data folder.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "MAC," M'KAY? :p

I remember this issue, but I don't remember why it happened or what fixed it. I can tell you that it's probably not a memory issue and not a corrupt file, for whatever that's worth.

Try copying all the contents of the data folder from the installer CD (Disc 1) directly to your BG2 data folder.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "MAC," M'KAY? ;)

;) m'kay then Macintosh, happy now?

There's a company called Apple which seems to think different [sic]. I thought they just published Beatles albums. ;)
Following your reasoning, there's a company called MICROSOFT that develops the WINDOWS operating system for use on PCs from companies like DELL or HEWLETT-PACKARD.

They have a web browser, INTERNET EXPLORER, which I'm sure a lot of visitors are using when browsing the GIBBERLINGS 3 forums.

ronin69hof redeemed himself (although "Mac" would have sufficed), so no harm.

As for the issue, I'm sorry I can't remember what the exact cause was. :(

Archived