Bardic Chain - spoilers

Lasivern

Just curious here, but why does the Bardic Chain have an AC equivalent to Studded Leather [AC 7]?

Isn't even just basic Chain AC 5? Is it considered crippled because it is old, or something?

I see through SK that it "upgrades ??" to AC 5 via the use of the Golden Pantaloons - that seems a heck of a sacrifice to get it to what mundane Chain is....

Just curious, but why not make it Studded Leather that upgrades to +2 [which seems more in keeping with what it takes to get it upgraded]? Or make it actual Chain, AC 5 and upgrade it to +1 Chain with the Pantaloons? I can see where it should not be as good as say the Melodic Chain, but AC 7 Chainmail? Did they forget to put links on an entire side? :)

Not a criticism, just curiosity.

Which item is it? As far as I know, there is only one elven chainmail, the one that is given to PC, if (s)he defeats the woman and the wolves near the entrance to Baldur's Gate(with Kivan in the party). And this one has AC5, I recall.

@Kulyok - this is part of Garrick's quest.

This should show up as changed in the next version, as first described here, assuming cmorgan or someone else doesn't eighty-six it. Glad to know I wasn't the only one with the same opinion though :).

Well, I don't like the idea of modding another mod with a mod (Tutu/BGT themselves I consider platforms rather than mods). Though if I were forced to use this change privately rather than in a public mod, I guess that's just what I would end up doing. As for permission, I asked and no one really responded yea or nay, so I didn't pursue it. Rather I left that for the BG1NPC team to sort out as they saw fit.

Well, I don't like the idea of modding another mod with a mod (Tutu/BGT themselves I consider platforms rather than mods). Though if I were forced to use this change privately rather than in a public mod, I guess that's just what I would end up doing. As for permission, I asked and no one really responded yea or nay, so I didn't pursue it. Rather I left that for the BG1NPC team to sort out as they saw fit.

Well if you DO change it privately, send me a file ok? >laffs< I play a lot of Bards and would like to get something wearable - not as good as Melodic Chain, but better than Studded Leather.....

Also is it this armor that is resetting the base AC of the Bard who wears it to 12?? I went into Shadowkeeper to check this stuff out and noticed that Garrack's AC was 12 after I found this stuff. When I put it on Eldoth and opened him up with SK -same thing, base AC had changed from 10 to 12. So maybe the stuff is supossed to be cursed or something? :)

Or perhaps this change is due to something else, but what it might be I have no clue.

Thanks for the responses.

I have assumed that items and item adjustments that fell within the scope of "modder intent" were in my perogative to fix, if sufficient notice was given... I could be wrong about that.

My baseline assumption has been that changes in storyline, etc. are author checks, and that rebalancing items (except for Lord Foreshadow, who is a Meta-Gaming sop for those wanting romances but lacking charisma) was a fix I could do m'self.

I have tried to stay on the "extreme conservative" side of things when it came to BioWare quest characters modified by Project authors, and on the "liberal" side when it came to (for example) fixes to things like gnome animations, non-joinable portraits, and repairs to Tanar'ri, Druid, and ArchDruid spell tables and scripts, sound reference fixes, etc.

I will recheck the logs, and see if I can get confirmation before doing this, if it isn't done already. I am not sure the actual item change has been made. I thought it was (it was if Miloch provided a file, or you could check the patching in the tp2).

In general, it looks like the two items nned a complete rebuild and check to make sure that they match the descriptions (it should *not* be setting base AC to 12!!!!), and I could use a volunteer to build two sets, one as a working original matching description, and a second as Miloch and Lasivern suggest. I will work on contacting authors and getting permission :)

I will recheck the logs, and see if I can get confirmation before doing this, if it isn't done already. I am not sure the actual item change has been made. I thought it was (it was if Miloch provided a file, or you could check the patching in the tp2).

In general, it looks like the two items need a complete rebuild and check to make sure that they match the descriptions (it should *not* be setting base AC to 12!!!!), and I could use a volunteer to build two sets, one as a working original matching description, and a second as Miloch and Lasivern suggest.

I did all this already in the t-bg1npc.rar file I sent you. It *says* it's magical chainmail (flagged as magical by its creator) so I gave it the stats of magical chainmail. As for resetting the base AC to 12 - I don't see even the original item doing that. It had a base AC setting of 7 'while equipped' which is the same as normal studded leather, as Lasivern first pointed out. However, it didn't have the correct modifiers for specific weapon types (slashing, blunt, etc.) so I added those too, while changing the base setting to AC4 (same as chainmail +1). So... I dunno how it was resetting the AC to 12. Maybe there's some other AC-modifying item interfering, but it should work the same as all other armour I looked at. Like I said via PM, I will test this and other things in the next internal build. Unless of course, the Supreme High Command vetoes it, but that would be a bit excessively restrictive for a change like this.

Re; the Base AC 12 stuff - I certainly don't KNOW that it is this armor that is doing it. After finding Garrick with a base AC of 12, I SK'd him back to AC 10. Then I loaded that save and tried equipping and unequipping the Bardic Armor - which gave him the proper AC [combined with his Dex] and after a few on and offs of the armor, I checked it out in SK and his AC had now remained at AC 10 as base.

So I really don't know where that came from. It's a pretty sparse installation, all I have is EasyTuTu, the v.17 fixes, NPCKits and BGINPCs - so not a lot going with mods or anything.

I might be mistaken, of course, but as far as I know, Andyr is Garrick's Czar, so I believe you could ask him.
Eh... well I guess I did that already, and he certainly didn't seem to object. I know he's a busy man, working on his Ph.D., so I wouldn't want to interrupt something that important for something this trivial I've already brought up a couple times :).
Re; the Base AC 12 stuff - I certainly don't KNOW that it is this armor that is doing it.
Well if you notice it happening again, let us know what you did exactly, so we can try to reproduce it. Like I said, I'll also test it out on the revised item.
[
Re; the Base AC 12 stuff - I certainly don't KNOW that it is this armor that is doing it.
Well if you notice it happening again, let us know what you did exactly, so we can try to reproduce it. Like I said, I'll also test it out on the revised item.

Will do. Thanks for your interest in this.

Archived