Problem with Baldur's Gate/ TOSC

Guest Sportbilly

Guest Sportbilly

Hi- I've got a very specific problem with BG1 and wondered if anyone could help me. I don't know if it makes any difference, but the version of the game I have is the Atari compilation, whioch suffers from the problem mentioned here- i.e. it's the North American version.

I've installed BG1, making sure it's a full custom install, then installed TOSC, then applied the UK patch for TOSC found here and created a save game. With the TOSC CD still in the drive, I then ran the widescreen mod, setting the game to 1680x1050 in full screen. It's worked to some extent, but the loading screens appear in the top left, and the game looks distinctly odd, with the bottom bar only extending half the screen and the game window shrunk to the top left.

Have I done something wrong here and if so, can anyone suggest the correct order of patching etc, please?

BTW, the process for BG2 worked perfectly and the game looks superb.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

That's how it's supposed to work. From the 'common problems' sticky:

Not all the GUIs are ported in the optimal way to the larger resolution. The main GUI (where you choose "Start Game", "Options",...) as well all various screens ("Load", "Mage Spells"...) are centered, with a black cover (SoA, HoW, ToB, IWD2) or forced to the upper left (PST, TotSC). The main game GUI (where you can move your characters, attack people etc.) is stretched properly, enlarging even the dialogue screen (SoA, ToB, HoW) or might display black bars (PST, IWD2, TotSC). Additionally, in PST the "character action" menu you get by right clicking in the game area cannot move out of the 640x480 box.

Guest Sportbilly

Ah, OK. Sorry, I did read the sticky thread but missed that bit.

Thanks very much for the swift advice, and thanks for a cracking mod. To my shame, I never got round to playing BG1 or 2 when they were first released and firing them up last year, I found them difficult to play because the graphics looked so bad, so your mod has finally encouraged me to play them.

Cheers,

Chris

With BG1 you get used to the GUI very quickly; at least it doesn't bother me now. Of course it would be nice with a properly fitting GUI but that is either impossible to do or too much work, I'd guess the latter.

Guest Sportbilly

Just as an update, I started again and this time installed the BG1Tutu mod. Initially, I played it in 1280x960 and found a strange bug in the Friendly Arms Inn, where right-clicking on the recently-joined Khalid's portrait caused the game to crash. I decided to install the Widescreen mod and put the resolution up to 1680x1050. Not only did it work perfectly and look superb, but the crashing bug also disappeared :laugh:

Just as an update, I started again and this time installed the BG1Tutu mod. Initially, I played it in 1280x960 and found a strange bug in the Friendly Arms Inn, where right-clicking on the recently-joined Khalid's portrait caused the game to crash. I decided to install the Widescreen mod and put the resolution up to 1680x1050. Not only did it work perfectly and look superb, but the crashing bug also disappeared :laugh:

It is known that the resolutions greater than 1024x768 (1280x960, 1600x1200, 2048x1536) are unstable if set via bgconfig rather than via Widescreen mod.

Guest Guest_Styphelus_*

Hey, I only started playing those games recently as well, despite having them stored away for all these years. But what I did was install BGT (Baldur's Gate Trilogy) and the widescreen mod and play them that way. I tried playing BG1 with Tutu before but always had too many problems. The new version of BGT runs like a dream. Haven't found any bugs so far and I'm just about done BG1.

It would be nice however if BG1 ran on it's own with the widescreen mod without all the issues mentioned. Maybe someone can solve them. I know for PST, there is someone re-doing the GUI and it looks a lot better now.

Archived