Some minor feedback

Guest Io

First, the standard thanks for making such an extensive mod. The challenges it adds to the game makes things a lot more engaging, and I always play with it (well, most of it- the custom install is also excellent, the best I can recall from anything except a fixpack).

However, obviously I didn't start this thread just for that, so on to the issues. Improved miscellaneous encounters is generally a nice improvement- except for one section. Firewine is a dreadful dungeon, its not interesting, its got a horrible design. Its not hard (especially not at this point, my party is level 4/5/6, kobolds are not an issue), its just a dull chore, and I really don't like being made to slog through the thing to get to the one part thats worth my time. Obviously, thanks to the modular nature I will simply install the component after doing firewine; but I will miss about 1/3rd component due to this. Well, if I'm the only one whos bothered I guess thats that, but I thought I would mention I at least would find it nice to have closing the entrance seperated out/optional.

More significantly, I think some of the new BG2 spell scrolls should be more widely available. Not earlier- I think the gradual giving out of the scrolls matches the way things were in the original game, thats great. However, if you have more than one mage in your party then some are going to be left without important spells. With improved mages, spell thrust and glitterdust both become pretty useful spells its nice to have available as an option- but it appears only one of my mages will be able to memorise things. I think thats not so good, especially with all thats done to make you want to cast them more (I know there are better options, but the lack of spell slots means they can still be useful).

Only two stoneskins being available means if I have more than two arcane casters, some of them aren't going to be able to cast the one spell every other mage in the sword coast seems to know- and the second one is available rather late (IMO, anyway). Since my mages don't normally end up being whacked too often anyway, I don't think this is going to be a real difficulty issue- it just rankles that its uncommon for you but like dirt for enemies.

I would say similar for minor sequencer, which is a real boost, but I could see a balance argument for keeping the number of casters with that one down- indeed, I might have thought the same about melfs, but thats for sale so guess not. Also, theres no problem with *some* useful spells having only one or two scrolls avaiable (cloudkill in BG1, spider spawn in SCS) to make who gets what a tactical choice. Its just I'm not sure that the ones I mentioned above shouldn't be somewhat more available once the party gets to Baldur's Gate.

Gosh, that was a long post for two minor issues, sorry for being long-winded, and since I am still playing through the game it may all be premature. Nonetheless thanks for all the good work making fights in BG1 worth talking about.

Archived