Spell descriptions

Aranthys

Well, I'm currently translating spell revisions v2.9 (and i'll update the descriptions comes 3.0) in french, and I was thinking :

It could be quite cool to have all spells have about the same descriptions as you did, but to also :

- display the save penality in the spell header

- display "Ignores magical resistance" in the spell header

- Eventually separate the spell description from the actual effects :

<header>

Upon casting, you launch a big bad fireball of doom at your poor enemies. <Blah, blah, blah>

Effects :

- 1d6 <damage type> damage per level of the caster

- <blah, blah, blah>

Ever since you updated the descriptions, there's a lot of information that is found both in the header and in the description of the spell.

This way, we could standardise the description of some effects, add some descriptions to spells and if you just want to know what the spell really does, you only have to look at the "Effects" section of the spell.

I know it's a lot of work, so I guess some people could help you there.

Well, I'm currently translating spell revisions v2.9 (and i'll update the descriptions comes 3.0) in french, and I was thinking :

It could be quite cool to have all spells have about the same descriptions as you did, but to also :

1) display the save penality in the spell header

2) display "Ignores magical resistance" in the spell header

3) Eventually separate the spell description from the actual effects

1) I don't like this much, if any it would be better placed with spell description as you suggest in 3). Not to mention there are spells with different saves (Insect spells, Sunray, ...), not many, but they would lead to confusion imo.

2) we already discussed this (because I added it for V2 beta before reverting the changes due to players consensus), and the conclusion was that within AD&D 99% of spells don't ignore magic resistance, thus we've opted to add a standardized line in those few cases where magic resistance is ignored.

3) it could be useful yes, but I think descriptions are quite fine now and much more accurate and exhaustive than ever. Personally I'm not too attracted by this huge amount of additional work.

Archived