Reg. VAMPSTTP.BCS

Guest prune1

Guest prune1

I've very recently started to try and learn to mod BG2, and my first idea was about an additional shadow thief/vampire encounter. Someone suggested looking up VAMPSTTP.BCS to see how the events already in the game work out.

Upon further examination I think there's something a little odd going on here. The problem does not break anything but it limits options for the player needlessly. Or, rather, if the player picks a particular route, he loses out on content he shouldn't.

The following is the format that the code takes for each of the 5 encounters, and taking the 4th such encounter in particular:

IF

Detect([PC])

Range([PC],20)

OR(3)

Global("AmaWaukeen","GLOBAL",0)

Dead("shthass1") // Ama

!AreaCheck("AR0700")

CombatCounter(0)

GlobalLT("Chapter","GLOBAL",4)

Global("VampShadWar","GLOBAL",4)

Global("WorkingForBodhi","GLOBAL",0)

GlobalTimerExpired("VampShadTimer","GLOBAL")

OR(2)

TimeGT(24)

TimeLT(DAWN_START)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

SetGlobal("VampShadWar","GLOBAL",5)

SetGlobalTimer("VampShadTimer","GLOBAL",3600)

CreateCreatureObject("VVTANOV",Myself,0,0,0) // Tanova

CreateCreatureObject("VVMALE3",Myself,0,0,0) // Vampire

CreateCreatureObject("VVMALE4",Myself,0,0,0) // Vampire

ActionOverride("VVTANOV",MoveToObject([PC]))

ActionOverride("VVMALE3",MoveToObject([PC]))

ActionOverride("VVMALE4",MoveToObject([PC]))

END

The Workingforbodhi being checked to be 0 should not be there. That whole line, i think, should be removed. There is actually dialog that deals with the case that the player may be aligned with bodhi.

Again, taking the dialog relevant to the above event:

BEGIN ~VVTANOV~

IF ~NumTimesTalkedTo(0)~ THEN BEGIN 0 // from:

SAY #41348 /* ~You! Stand and declare your allegiance! Are you Shadow Thief?~ */

IF ~~ THEN REPLY #41350 /* ~What? Why are you asking?~ */ GOTO 1

IF ~~ THEN REPLY #41351 /* ~Out of my way. I have no time for this.~ */ GOTO 1

END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 1 // from: 0.1 0.0

SAY #41352 /* ~A yes or no is all that is required! Declare your allegiance! Are you Shadow Thief?~ */

IF ~Global("WorkingForBodhi","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN REPLY #41354 /* ~Yes, I currently work for the Shadow Thieves~ */ GOTO 2

IF ~Global("WorkingForBodhi","GLOBAL",0)

Global("WorkingForAran","GLOBAL",0)~ THEN REPLY #41355 /* ~Yes, I currently work for the Shadow Thieves~ */ GOTO 3

IF ~Global("WorkingForAran","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN REPLY #41356 /* ~Yes, I currently work for the Shadow Thieves~ */ GOTO 3

IF ~Global("WorkingForBodhi","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN REPLY #41358 /* ~I do not have allegiance to any such guild.~ */ GOTO 4

IF ~Global("WorkingForBodhi","GLOBAL",0)

Global("WorkingForAran","GLOBAL",0)~ THEN REPLY #41359 /* ~I do not have allegiance to any such guild.~ */ GOTO 5

IF ~Global("WorkingForAran","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN REPLY #41360 /* ~I do not have allegiance to any such guild.~ */ GOTO 7

IF ~Global("WorkingForBodhi","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN REPLY #41361 /* ~I work for Mistress Bodhi. Are you threatening me?~ */ GOTO 8

END

I have omitted the rest of the dialogue for brevity, but you can clearly see that just in case "WorkingForBodhi" is 1, the game still works it all out fine.

As it stands, if and once you side with Bodhi, these events will cease to happen, and I can't see any reason why they should; clearly niether did the developers since they included the dialog lines.

In fact, unfinished business adds 2 more encounters to these, and omits this very line i'm talking about within its conditons.

(Which is to my dismay...as in the fact that UB adds more such encounters; now I have to find out how to account for UB in my own little creation! But that's for another thread...)

The same problem exists in all 5 of the original encounters, and it seems to me that all you need to do is remove that variable check.

Archived