Are Planetars nerfed?

Guest Guest_Larloch_*

Guest Guest_Larloch_*

I'm not complaining or judging the balance I just need to know. I was comparing and it seems the new ones have 1 less attack (2 hasted) seemingly worse spells at first glance, less hp and levels. In exchange they now have slightly better resists, spellcasting speed, and a vorpal effect ( I think? that's what the summons sticky says). So what do you think are they weaker?

Thanks.

Mmm, let's see...

They have almost identical stats in terms of thac0, damage, AC, and apr (both have 3 attacks per round) but SR's planetars have much more hit points (198 instead of 110). Resistances are similar with few differences, vanilla's planetars were immune to fire, SR's ones have only 50% resistance to fire, but they have 20% physical dmg resistance instead of vanilla's 10%. They are both immune to weapons lower than +3 enchantment.

Vorpal effect now has a 5% chance instead of vanilla's 25%, but the save against it is at -6 instead of -2. Vanilla's planetar also had a dispel effect on hit, but I've removed it within SR.

Spellbooks are quite a lot different instead, because vanilla's planetars were a mess with mage, cleric and even druid's spells, whereas SR ones have only good-aligned clerical spells. Determining which is the best spellbook in terms of effectiveness is difficult. Fallen Planetars now have a completely different spellbook too, with more evil-aligned spells, but then again, I don't know if it's more powerful or not (fallen planetar's spellbook is clearly much better when used by the AI against good-aligned parties).

In conclusion there are quite a few differences here and there between vanilla and SR planetars, but not radical changes. In terms of overall power they shouldn't be much different, but SR's ones have much more staying power (in fact I'll probably lower their hp for V4).

Guest Guest_Larloch_*

Thank you for the in depth response it is much appreciated. I'm using Near Infinity to see the stats is this not reliable? It says the dark plantar has 162 hp and only 2 attacks. In my backup stock non-mod folder the program reports the dark plantar as having 3 attacks. Does the SR dark plantar get the other attack from some item or skill or maybe NI is not reading it right?

Thank you.

Thank you for the in depth response it is much appreciated. I'm using Near Infinity to see the stats is this not reliable? It says the dark plantar has 162 hp and only 2 attacks. In my backup stock non-mod folder the program reports the dark plantar as having 3 attacks. Does the SR dark plantar get the other attack from some item or skill or maybe NI is not reading it right?
SR planetar is a fighter/cleric, thus you have to add 36 hit points from CON 18 (162 + 36 = 198) and 1 attack per round because of the fighter class.

NI is reliable, but it's difficult to notice everything at first glance because many things may be added/changed via equipped items or class bonuses/hindrances.

Archived