Here's a GemRB launcher for Windows

Maighstir

It's still in a quite early stage, but detects all games I have installed (all five, from original CDs) and makes cfg files for them, should also do the same for the GOG.com versions. In case it cannot detect a specific game, it gives you the option of telling it where the game is.

When a game is found (or you've told it where the game is), the game's ini file is read and a basic equivalent cfg is made for GemRB (resolution, BPP, and CD paths, so far).

If you already have a file called bg1.cfg, bg2.cfg, iwd.cfg, iwd2.cfg, or pst.cfg in the same folder, the launcher considers the respective game configured, and allows you to launch it, if any of these to not exist, the previous two paragraphs apply for the those games.

It can be found at http://dev.ops-area....auncher-1.1.zip, the file contains the source (launcher.ahk - written in AutoHotkey, so someone will have to recode it in another language for use on not Windows compatible systems), the compiled ready-to-run application (launcher.exe), and an icon (launcher.ico). The only thing you really need from the archive is the exe, it should be copied to your GemRB folder and run from there.

This is only aimed to be a launcher and basic config creator (to have anything to launch), not a full-fledged config editor.

Please post problems, questions, and suggestions and I'll see what I can do about it.

This is what I get when trying to run bg2 (GOG):

"---------------------------

launcher.exe

---------------------------

Error: Failed attempt to launch program or document:

Action: <GemRB.exe>

Params: <-c bg2.cfg>

Specifically: The system cannot find the file specified.

Line#

---> 167: Run,GemRB.exe -c %ShortNameLower%.cfg

The current thread will exit.

OK

"

I would guess you didn't put the launcher in the GemRB folder (the same where GemRB.exe is).

Also (while not the issue here), it doesn't handle UAC very well (or at all, really), so using it inside the Program Files folder(s) on Vista and 7 isn't advisable currently (it requires admin rights to create the cfg files, and the games require admin rights to save there anyway). I've planned to fix that for the next version, but plain forgot about it.

Archived