Icewind Dale problem

Falkentyne

Hi,

Does anyone know why my Icewind Dale lacks any sort of battle/combat music, when a fight starts?

I've read on several forums that there is supposed to be battle music (just like in Baldur's Gate/2) when you fight, but I have not heard a single battle tune, and I've killed hordes of goblins already.

I also haven't heard any music in dungeons (the ones in the prologue)-.-, but I just entered chapter 1, so who knows...

Does anyone know why the battle music isn't working?

The music files are there...they play fine with Nearinfinity....

Oh, and I have the exact same problem on a much older computer that's running Windows 98se, so it's not a computer problem. Doesn't matter if any mods, or if HOW or TOTL is installed or not.

No problems at all in BG1 or BG2 music, (besides having to edit a few MUS files, to fix bugs/typos that stopped some of the songs from looping)

Has anyone who's played IWD had this problem and found any sort of fix? Is there any battle music in IWD? If so, -when- does it play?

It's the same problem in IWDII...

You should check .are files: there are many areas in which battle musics are not set...

In IWDII, it's even worth, because battle music is reserved for somewhat "boss battles"

You should check .are files: there are many areas in which battle musics are not set...

In IWDII, it's even worth, because battle music is reserved for somewhat "boss battles"

How do I do this?

And how can I edit the are files? Can I set battle music manually?

I am a complete newbie...heck I can barely understand a C file....

I do have Nearinfinity but not much I Know how to do with it....(I do NOT know how to use DLTCEP, that's over my head).

I do see the problem you are talking about: in IWD, the "Battle song reference number" is -1, in MOST of the area files :). Is there a way for me to set music? I don't even know what the proper reference numbers are @_@

I tried changing existing reference numbers (like, daytime song reference number, etc) to match the # from a different area, but it took no effect at all; the original daytime song still played. And, still no battle music :)

Almost like it's ignoring any changes I made to the ARE File....

*edit*

Um.....

It looks like the changes ARE working....but only if you never visited the area on that save game! Looks like just like in BG, the area files are SAVED to the save game file, so the data is accessed from the save.

Well, hmm...there are 6 battle songs, but only 5 battle reference numbers. (37, 39, 39, 43, 44).

I guess I'll have to try each one and see what happens (i'm editing Kuldahar pass (AR2000) right now.... wonder what the 6th song is...

Found the valid battle songs are 37-40, 43 and 44.

Editing the are file to add the song (instead of -1) makes the battle music play, as long as you haven't previously been in the area before. (which also means, any change you make to the music will stay... hopefully this doesn't do anything like crash the game later on....)

Since I don't know which areas are which, I will just add a random battle song to each area (that doesn't already have one), and hope for the best....

Guest MaximumFish

How did you edit the .ARE files? I have near infinity, infinity explorer, and ietme but have no idea how to use any of them. I am having the same problem with IWD and now also Throne of Bhaal and would very much like to fix it, even if it does mean trolling through text files. I can see the Area files in Near infinity but double clicking on them does nothing, opening in new window opens no new window. I can extract them to the desktop, but i don't know how to edit them once they are there or how to compress them back in to replace the old ones. Anyway, if you read this, please let me know what you did, i can seem to find nothing anywhere about this problem.

Archived