After I have finished BG1 with a Shapeshifter shaped up (🙃) by SCS, I want to give some feedback.

BG1EE + SoD

Mods: SCS 33.1, Spell Revisions v4b18, Item Revisions v4beta10 (+subtedoctors patches), BG1NPC v24.8, Tweaks v9, ATweaks v4.53

Difficultiy: Insane

NPC customization component

• Montaron the Assassin, Kivan the Archer, Safana the Swashbuckler - this component makes the NPCs so much more viable!

• Zombie-Neera: If Neera gets hit in the initial combat, she cannot be killed and stays at 1 hp. After the combat ends, she is set to level 0 and 1/10 hp. When leveled up and her max HP is below 10 hp, she will end up having 0/10 hp, thus is dead (greyed portrait). But actually, her Avatar stays alive and can walk around.

Improved shapeshifting component

• The Lesser Werewolf Form: Tried once, ignored afterwards. Wielding a Scimitar is superior. Suggestions: boost movement rate to have some incentive to use this form.

• The Normal Werewolf Form: A beast, if buffed up with Spell Revisions Regenerate (accelerated due to the permanent Haste), Barkskin, Armor of Faith etc. Can easily match a skilled fighter.

• Main issue for the werewolf form is the crappy THAC0, which can hardly be boosted (after all, something the fighter classes can do better).

• The 20% magic resistance is nice to have, but not a gamechanger in BG1.

• Biggest buff vs. vanilla from my point of view: Shapeshift at will!

• Weird thing #1: The character can speak normally while shapeshifted. This is immersion-breaking. With the much higher movement rate, there is little reason to switch to human form other than casting.

• Weird thing #2: The werewolf is immune to ability drain from shadows. Perhaps it's because the paws as a "weapon" set the strength to a specific value?

Tactical challenges component

• Most fun fight: The mages led by Andrys on the ice island (Shandalar quest). Arcane carnage vs. natures wrath!

• Most chaotic fight: Chessboard in Durlags tower. Especially the 2 knights are mean, perhaps a little bit over the top. All in all I had to tackle 4 queens. An alpha strike to thin out the enemy army seems necessary.

• Most annoying fight: Ambush when heading back to Ulgoth's Beard. The Enforcers are prepared, the party is not. The players mages need to buff up quickly or go down fast. At the same time, they need to debuff the enforcer. The enforcers are the only enemy that seems (!) to have an unfair advantage in terms of skills even at XP cap (buffed like arch-mages, and hit like a truck).

• Most underwhelming fight: Aec'Letec. Easier than his guards outside. Perhaps I was just to good prepared after the Enforcers.

• Most entertaining fight: Ducal palace - who can kill doppelgangers faster, me or the duces?

• Hardest fight: Sarevok, as it should be. Truly satisfying, if you have made it.

• After all, fights with few participants, no matter how powerful, tend to be easier than larger groups.

Balance stuff

• Ice storm from Spell Revisions: This spell is Level 4 and available at 35k EXP for druids (Level 7). The problem with this spell, it penetrates the Minor Globe of Invulnerability (Immunity only up to Level 3 spells). The SCS mages think they are safe with the Minor Globe, but they are not. I did not encountered any mage who protected herself from cold. This AoE spell even worked against Semaj! Note: I installed the “Spell Deflection blocks AoE spells” component, but mages tend to prefer the Minor Globe over Minor Spell Deflection.

With the distinctive set of spells, the ability to shapeshift at will and the changes to the werewolf forms the Shapeshifter is a really cool class now. This was the first time I tackled SCS on Insane and it was the most fun playthrough I've done so far.

Thank you David for this gem of a mod.

Edited by Lianos