Improved BGEE Drizzt Encounter Proposal

Guest morpheus562

Guest morpheus562

Greetings,

I absolutely love this mod, but one fight always seems underwhelming: Drizzt in BGEE. He is incredibly easy and will kill every single gnoll first before attacking party members which basically makes the fight a race against the clock to kill him before the gnolls die. Simple change I would make is to have him attack party members while gnolls are still alive.

And what kind of party are you running that can kill him that fast? Drizzt is nearly immune to magic and has ridiculously good AC. In my current (near-vanilla) evil run, it took about an hour (game time) of one party member running in circles while the other five used ranged attacks to bring him down. Eleven gnolls, usually two hits to kill them (maybe one on a crit, maybe three with exceptionally low damage rolls), five attacks per round ... he'll be done with the gnolls in five rounds or so. About your only option for reliably speeding things up are MR-ignoring kit abilities that deal damage (Thief/Bounty Hunter traps, Blackguard Absorb Health, Dragon Disciple Breath Weapon). And if you have enough of that stuff to kill him quickly, the gnolls are irrelevant. Or an obstacle - wouldn't want those gnolls triggering the traps you laid before Drizzt is in range.

Also, if Drizzt prioritized party members over gnolls, that would open up a new cheese tactic: let him chase a party member while the gnolls continue to take potshots.

Guest morpheus562

I usually run one or two archers and one or two kensai's. Simple strength potions or potions of heroism get thac0 low enough to consistently hit him. Other characters are a mix of whatever, but I kill Drizzt pre-bandit camp every time with zero hassle.

Guest morpheus562

Looking into it further, it appears Drizzt's class script is overriding the scripts @DavidW created which is why Drizzt focuses on the gnolls first before attacking the player. My recommendation is to reduce the amount happening in the class script and instead allow David's scripts to shine.