Opcode 183?

jmerry

I'm building a monk kit, and I tried some opcode 183 stuff; set to "hand to hand weapons", call a bunch of opcode 178/179/345 effects for fist-only bonuses. The enchantment bonuses worked exactly like I wanted - level 8 monk can hit a mustard jelly with fists, but not with an off-hand long sword.

The damage and attack bonuses worked, mostly. When I tried the fists/sword dual-wield, both hands got the bonus. But worse, and weirder, the bonuses were doubled. No bonus with a main-hand sword, double bonuses with main-hand fists and nothing in the off-hand, double bonuses for both hands with main-hand fists and an off-hand sword. +2 attack and +2 damage against the targeted creature types, instead of the +1 I wanted.

Just what is going on with this opcode?

(Yes, I now know the appropriate black magic to set opcode 248 to fists only. That doesn't work with the 178/179/345 effects because its EFF targets the enemy; I'll have to change other things around if I make that switch.)

Edited by jmerry

The monk's fists are both always equipped (similar to non-weapon slots) and actively equipped (selected as the active weapon).

Any equipped effect on them will therefor be doubled while they are selected as they active weapon, it's nothing specific to op183.

For op345, just apply it to your character with op177, special=1(mainhand), parameter4=28 (Fists/Hand to Hand).

op178/179 don't allow for weapon-specific function, while the effect is active and target is valid, they affect all weapon attacks.  Again though, nothing related to op183.

I figured it out and made it work. It was the 178/179 effects I was calling with the 183; I didn't have parameter 3 set correctly. Because for some inexplicable reason, that's the parameter that really matters in those cases.

With that issue corrected, everything worked. Opcode 183 is great for doing more complicated fist-only effects. The only blemish here is that an off-hand weapon gets the bonus if the main hand is a fist; I was able to cut that off with a flag in the 345 effects, but not the 178 and 179 effects.

1 hour ago, kjeron said:

op178/179 don't allow for weapon-specific function, while the effect is active and target is valid, they affect all weapon attacks.  Again though, nothing related to op183.

And that's the beauty of the 183 effect. Have the 183 call the 178/179 EFF, and you get both weapon and target filters.

Edited by jmerry