Change Feedback for Damage Type?

I'm trying to create a "bleeding" effect using opcodes 12 and 25, but the feedback in the combat log seems to be restricted to "poison" or one of the other damage types. Is there any way to change the damage feedback to a custom string for either opcode?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2 hours ago, Purudaya said:

I'm trying to create a "bleeding" effect using opcodes 12 and 25, but the feedback in the combat log seems to be restricted to "poison" or one of the other damage types. Is there any way to change the damage feedback to a custom string for either opcode?

If I get it right, what you really asking for is new damage type. This could be impossible without some serious hacking. That's my gut feeling.

You could pick one of existing damage types, let's say slashing, and change all strrefs that refers to it to "slashing/bleeding". You need to be careful because resistance and other damage type related things would be shared across those two.

Otherwise maybe it would be possible together with some major damage type overhaul. You could join all physical damage types as one, let's say under 0x0. Then you would have 3 free slots. This would ofc require patching all effects in items/spell, damage actions in scripts/dialogues, item/spell descriptions, changing feedback massages and who knows what else. With great power comes great responsibility, that's what they say.

On 5/28/2023 at 2:46 AM, marchitek said:

If I get it right, what you really asking for is new damage type. This could be impossible without some serious hacking. That's my gut feeling.

You could pick one of existing damage types, let's say slashing, and change all strrefs that refers to it to "slashing/bleeding". You need to be careful because resistance and other damage type related things would be shared across those two.

Otherwise maybe it would be possible together with some major damage type overhaul. You could join all physical damage types as one, let's say under 0x0. Then you would have 3 free slots. This would ofc require patching all effects in items/spell, damage actions in scripts/dialogues, item/spell descriptions, changing feedback massages and who knows what else. With great power comes great responsibility, that's what they say.

Thank you, I had a feeling this might be the case. On a slightly related note, would you happen to know if it's possible to deal bonus damage based on the type of weapon the player is wielding? I know there's opcode 73, but I'm looking for something that specifically fires on a critical hit without being tied to a fixed damage type. Thanks again for your response and for any other insight you might have.

Edited by Purudaya