Trouble installing SCS with SoD on OSX v 10.14.6 Mojave

I had previously installed SCS v33 over BGEE and it was working fine. Then, a friend of mine gifted me SoD, and I unlocked it, not realizing it would break my installation. When I excitedly booted up the game for the first time, I was frustrated to find that SoD wasn't working at all, but the game was at least launching and in a playable state. Still, I put it down for a while. When I tried to boot up BGEE today to play some Black Pits, the game would simply crash on startup. I decided a full reinstall was the way to go, so after doing a fresh install of BGEE and running Modmerge, I attempted to reinstall SCS. However, I got an error message: "weidu_external/lib/lib_ini.tpa: No such file or directory". I figured I should start with getting the most recent copy of WeiDU, so I re-downloaded the v7 Mac WeiDu Launcher, and grabbed SCS v34.3. Unfortunately, when I tried to install it, I got the same error message. My terminal output is quoted below, can anyone tell me how to fix this issue? 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"[COMPUTER NAME] /Volumes/Shared/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Baldur\'s\ Gate\ Enhanced\ Edition/Mac_Weidu_Launcher_v7.app/Contents/Resources/mwl.command ; exit;

[./weidu] WeiDU version 24600

Choose your language:

0 [English]

1 [Polski (Yarpen) - last updated version 34.2]

2 [Deutsch (Leonardo Watson) - last updated version 31]

3 [Francais (Mornagest/Isaya/Graoumf/Gwendolyne/Jazira) - last updated version 34.2]

4 [Italiano (Stoneangel/Improbabile) - last updated version 34.3]

5 [Russian (Prowler/Silent/RealApxu) - last updated version 34.1]

Using Language [English]

Using ./lang/en_us/dialog.tlk

Would you like to display the readme? [Y]es [N]o

n

Would you like to display the components from [Icewind Dale spells]?

[Y]es, [N]o? y

Would you like to display the components from [Gameplay tweaks]?

[Y]es, [N]o? y

y

Would you like to display the components from [AI enhancements]?

[Y]es, [N]o? y

[Y]es, [N]o? y

Would you like to display the components from [Tactical Challenges]?

[Y]es, [N]o? y

SKIPPING: [Install in batch mode (ask about all components before starting installation). DO NOT USE WITH PROJECT INFINITY.]

Batch mode is only available for Windows installs

Install Component [Include arcane spells from Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition]?

nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit? i

Installing [Include arcane spells from Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition] [34.3]

Clearing the arrays.

Clearing the variables.

Clearing the inlined files.

Clearing the macros.

Clearing the IDS map.

ERROR Installing [Include arcane spells from Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition], rolling back to previous state

Will uninstall   0 files for [stratagems/setup-stratagems.tp2] component 1500.

Uninstalled      0 files for [stratagems/setup-stratagems.tp2] component 1500.

ERROR: Sys_error("weidu_external/lib/lib_ini.tpa: No such file or directory")

Please make a backup of the file: logs/stratagems.debug and look for support at: For help troubleshooting installation problems, go to the Sword Coast Stratagems forum at forums.gibberlings3.net.

Using Language [English]

nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit?"

Edited by aabrightlove

Well, for one, that's not the most recent version of WeiDU; you're on 246 while the most recent is 249. And SCS updated to v247 with 33.5, which may include changing some code to use the new features. You likely have an older copy of WeiDU sitting in your game folder, which overrides the newer one bundled inside MWL. (WeiDU 249 for Mac should display as having size 7.9 MB. Older versions are smaller, often significantly smaller.)

The error here is that in the ALWAYS block (included with every component), SCS includes a library file. Which recursively includes more stuff; the first library file included is lib_ini, which defines some "how to read an ini file" functions.

Now, that shouldn't be reading from weidu_external/lib. It reads from %MOD_FOLDER%, which is defined to be whatever folder contains the setup tp2. Hmm ... is there an extra copy of setup-strategems.tp2 in weidu_external/lib for some reason? That would cause both the extra entry in the MWL list and the error you're seeing, if you tried installing the wrong entry. If there is such a file, get rid of it.

1 hour ago, jmerry said:

Well, for one, that's not the most recent version of WeiDU; you're on 246 while the most recent is 249... You likely have an older copy of WeiDU sitting in your game folder, which overrides the newer one bundled inside MWL. (WeiDU 249 for Mac should display as having size 7.9 MB. Older versions are smaller, often significantly smaller.)

I did have what appeared to be an older version of WeiDU in the installation directory. I think it populated there when I first tried the install with with the older version of MWL, so I will try deleting it. Update: it is giving me a different error now, but we seem to have made some progress here, at least. I have attached the debug file and the terminal output as before.

1 hour ago, jmerry said:

Now, that shouldn't be reading from weidu_external/lib. It reads from %MOD_FOLDER%, which is defined to be whatever folder contains the setup tp2. Hmm ... is there an extra copy of setup-strategems.tp2 in weidu_external/lib for some reason? That would cause both the extra entry in the MWL list and the error you're seeing, if you tried installing the wrong entry. If there is such a file, get rid of it.

Interestingly, the setup didn't even create the /lib directory on its own. I did some googling before posting and saw a suggestion to try manually creating the folder myself, but this resolved nothing and the folder remains empty after my future attempts. I deleted the entire weidu_external folder (and anything else named WeiDU), as mentioned above

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last login: Fri Jul 28 00:01:01 on ttys000

-bash: source~/.bash_profile: No such file or directory

/Volumes/Shared/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Baldur\'s\ Gate\ Enhanced\ Edition/Mac_Weidu_Launcher_v7.app/Contents/Resources/mwl.command ; exit;

~ alicat$ /Volumes/Shared/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Baldur\'s\ Gate\ Enhanced\ Edition/Mac_Weidu_Launcher_v7.app/Contents/Resources/mwl.command ; exit;

[./weidu] WeiDU version 24900

Choose your language:

0 [English]

1 [Polski (Yarpen) - last updated version 34.2]

2 [Deutsch (Leonardo Watson) - last updated version 31]

3 [Francais (Mornagest/Isaya/Graoumf/Gwendolyne/Jazira) - last updated version 34.2]

4 [Italiano (Stoneangel/Improbabile) - last updated version 34.3]

5 [Russian (Prowler/Silent/RealApxu) - last updated version 34.1]

Using Language [English]

Please choose the language in which you wish to play the game.

If you later wish to play the game in a different language you will need to edit the file weidu.conf and reinstall your mods.

0 [Czech]

1 [German]

2 [English]

3 [Spanish]

4 [French]

5 [hu_hu]

6 [Italian]

7 [Japanese]

8 [Korean]

9 [nb_no]

10 [Polish]

11 [Portuguese]

12 [Russian]

13 [Turkish]

14 [Ukrainian]

15 [Simplified Chinese]

Using ./lang/en_us/dialog.tlk

Would you like to display the readme? [Y]es [N]o

y

Would you like to display the components from [Icewind Dale spells]?

[Y]es, [N]o? y

Would you like to display the components from [Gameplay tweaks]?

[Y]es, [N]o? y

[Y]es, [N]o? y

Would you like to display the components from [Tactical Challenges]?

[Y]es, [N]o? y

SKIPPING: [Install in batch mode (ask about all components before starting installation). DO NOT USE WITH PROJECT INFINITY.]

Batch mode is only available for Windows installs

nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit? y

Installing [Include arcane spells from Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition] [34.3]

Clearing the arrays.

Clearing the variables.

Clearing the inlined files.

Clearing the macros.

Clearing the IDS map.

Including file(s) initialise_hla_feat.tph

Copying and patching 1 file ...

Reading in data: spellcodes

Reading in data: saving_throws

Reading in data: hit_point_levels

Reading in data: stats

Reading in data: PCs

Reading in data: thac0

Including file(s) killsword.tph

Copying and patching 1 file ...

SFO: Installing and patching ITM file(s) killsw01=>dw#kilsw... 

...done

loading 4 tra files

[STRATAGEMS/SFO2E/._ALTER_EFFECT.TPH] LEXER ERROR at line 1 column 0--1

Near Text: 

invalid character []

HINT: Don't use MS Word to edit your .tp2 files - use ConTEXT (http://www.context.cx instead).

[STRATAGEMS/SFO2E/._ALTER_EFFECT.TPH]  ERROR at line 1 column 0--1

Near Text: 

Parsing.Parse_error

ERROR: parsing [STRATAGEMS/SFO2E/._ALTER_EFFECT.TPH]: Parsing.Parse_error

Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Include arcane spells from Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition], rolling back to previous state

Will uninstall  95 files for [stratagems/setup-stratagems.tp2] component 1500.

Uninstalled     95 files for [stratagems/setup-stratagems.tp2] component 1500.

ERROR: Parsing.Parse_error

Please make a backup of the file: logs/stratagems.debug and look for support at: For help troubleshooting installation problems, go to the Sword Coast Stratagems forum at forums.gibberlings3.net.

Using Language [English]

nstall, or [N]ot Install or [Q]uit? 

stratagems.debug

Edited by aabrightlove

Checking the WeiDU changelog, I found this at v247:

* MOD_FOLDER variable is preferably set to the directory containing the TP2 file.

Yeah, I think the error you were getting before was tied to the old version of WeiDU. The install was using a blatantly wrong value for MOD_FOLDER for some reason, which broke it.

So now it's breaking on something completely different, which appears to be a bad file that it's trying to include (still in the ALWAYS block). And that filename looks very suspicious; there should be an alter_effect.tph in the sfo2e folder, but not a version with more stuff in front of it.

Okay, so, I got frustrated and walked away for a bit. But, I still want to figure out what the heck is going on here!

I was having some issues with my bash profile, so I fixed all of that, but was still having issues installing SCS after using DLC Merger to merge SoD. So, I switched it over to another HD I had, which is formatted differently (it was originally on an ExFAT drive, now it is on a drive with OS Extended Journaled formatting), and that seems to have fixed it!! I am currently running the installation now and will update when it is completed; hopefully everything goes off without a hitch. Perhaps some of the more tech-savvy folks here can figure out what went wrong in the first place?