[b2] Minor bugs in HLA, NPC Customization and proficiency components

Guest niatti

Thank you for this great mod, enjoying it so far. A few things I've noticed (on a clean BG2EE ToF-only install, see weidu.log below):

1) Characters Choose Minor New Abilities Every Three Levels [also relevant for BGEE]
1 - As posted in an earlier thread by docbeard, multi-class characters can't level up from 0 with this component. Both of your suggested fixes (updating OUTER_FOR loop in ui_externalize_hlas.tph before installation and hotfix in override/m_dw_hld.lua) worked for me, though.

2) Revised and expanded high-level abilities system
1 - Refuses to install without the 'Spell system revisions and new spells' component.
ERROR: No translation provided for @32103
ERROR: [SPWI707.spl] -> [override/SPWI707.spl] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
Pre-installing spell tweaks seems to fix this.
2 - HLA selection screen is empty for multi-class characters (example: after setting Jaheira to 8,000,000 XP she has 20 unallocated HLA points, but nothing is offered on the list). If the 'Minor New Abilities' component is present, then only low-level abilities are offered. For single-classed characters HLAs are displayed as expected.

3) Improved NPC Customization and Management [also relevant for BGEE]
1 - After levelling from lvl 0, the 'Customise class/kit' ability doesn't disappear from the special abilities panel (I think I've seen this reported in SCS forum somewhere...)
2 - If NPC's class or kit is changed prior to levelling them from lvl 0 to 1, they retain their extra 10 hit points. Can be reproduced by changing Imoen's thief kit to anything other than Trueclass.
3 - Changing dual-class character kit prevents them from levelling past lvl 1. Again, can be tested by changing Imoen's kit right after starting SoA.

4) Revised Weapon Proficiency System
1 - Multi-class characters don't have their starting proficiencies set (getting 25+ unallocated proficiency points instead). I'm a bit perplexed by this, as in BGEE starting proficiencies for all classes seem to be resolved correctly.

Sorry for any duplicates/known issues. Let me know if there's anything else you need to help track these.

weidu.log:

~DW_TALENTS/DW_TALENTS.TP2~ #0 #1500 // Include arcane spells from Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition: Beta 2
~DW_TALENTS/DW_TALENTS.TP2~ #0 #1510 // Include divine spells from Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition: Beta 2
~DW_TALENTS/DW_TALENTS.TP2~ #0 #2000 // Install all spell tweaks (if you don't select this, you will be given a chance to choose by category): Beta 2
~DW_TALENTS/DW_TALENTS.TP2~ #0 #60100 // Characters choose minor new abilities every three levels: Beta 2
~DW_TALENTS/DW_TALENTS.TP2~ #0 #60200 // Revised and expanded high-level abilities system: Beta 2
~DW_TALENTS/DW_TALENTS.TP2~ #0 #60300 // Improved NPC customisation and management: Beta 2
~DW_TALENTS/DW_TALENTS.TP2~ #0 #81100 // Revised Weapon Proficiency System: Beta 2
~DW_TALENTS/DW_TALENTS.TP2~ #0 #90000 // Tidy up class-selection menu: Beta 2

This was a super-helpful bug list. What I have so far:

(1) hopefully moot.

2.1 still need to check out.

2.2. Can reproduce; fixed locally, will be in Beta 3. The following should hotfix it: open dw_talents/hla_feat/install_feats.tph, find the 'read_kit_component_table' function, and replace it to look like this:

DEFINE_ACTION_FUNCTION read_kit_component_table
	RET_ARRAY kit_component_1 kit_component_2 kit_component_3 kits_with_component
BEGIN
	ACTION_FOR_EACH array IN kit_component_1 kit_component_2 kit_component_3 kits_with_component BEGIN
		ACTION_CLEAR_ARRAY "%array%"
	END
	ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS "%data_loc_shared%/multiclass_kit_components.2da" BEGIN
		COPY "%data_loc_shared%/multiclass_kit_components.2da" "%workspace%"
			READ_2DA_ENTRIES_NOW component_data 4
			FOR (row=0;row<component_data;++row) BEGIN
				READ_2DA_ENTRY_FORMER component_data row 0 main
				TO_UPPER main
				FOR (col=1;col<=3;++col) BEGIN
					READ_2DA_ENTRY_FORMER component_data row col c
					PATCH_IF "%c%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE "*" BEGIN
						TO_UPPER c
						SPRINT $"kit_component_%col%"("%main%") "%c%"
						PATCH_IF !VARIABLE_IS_SET $kits_with_component("%c%") BEGIN
							SPRINT $kits_with_component("%c%") ""
						END
						SPRINT temp $kits_with_component("%c%")
						SPRINT $kits_with_component("%c%") "%temp% %main%"
					END
				END

END
		BUT_ONLY

END
	ACTION_FOR_EACH mc IN FIGHTER_MAGE FIGHTER_CLERIC FIGHTER_DRUID FIGHTER_THIEF CLERIC_MAGE CLERIC_THIEF MAGE_THIEF CLERIC_RANGER BEGIN
		LAF return_first_entry STR_VAR list="%mc%" separator="_" RET k1=entry k2=list END
		OUTER_SPRINT $kit_component_1("%mc%") "%k1%"
		OUTER_SPRINT $kit_component_2("%mc%") "%k2%"
	END
	ACTION_FOR_EACH mc IN FIGHTER_MAGE_CLERIC FIGHTER_MAGE_THIEF BEGIN
		LAF return_first_entry STR_VAR list="%mc%" separator="_" RET k1=entry list END
		LAF return_first_entry STR_VAR list separator="_" RET k2=entry k3=list END
		OUTER_SPRINT $kit_component_1("%mc%") "%k1%"
		OUTER_SPRINT $kit_component_2("%mc%") "%k2%"
		OUTER_SPRINT $kit_component_3("%mc%") "%k3%"		
	END

END

(It's an error that only occurs if you don't have multiclass kits installed.)

3.1, 3.2 can't reproduce. (I've tried on Jaheira and Keldorn.)

3.3 Can reproduce, investigating.

4.1 Can't reproduce. Can you give me an exact reproduction scenario?

If 3.1 and 3.2 are the same issues I encountered and reported on the SCS forum (and they sound like they are), the issue was limited to arcane casters (I encountered the issues with both Xzar and Dynaheir).  You may want to try reproducing with an arcane caster.  

Edited by Delior

OK, 3.1 and 3.2 are fixed locally; they affect all kitted characters with a class that can dual-class. Hotfix: edit leveller/leveller.tpa, find this line (should be around line 471)

kit.edit_all["%class%"|clab_only:i=1]

and remove the quotation marks, i.e. replace it with

kit.edit_all[%class%|clab_only:i=1]

OP here. Thanks for the quick reply! And Delior, thanks for your input. All of the fixes look good, though I can't test thoroughly at the moment (will let you know if anything pops up later).

About 4.1, hmm... All I had to do was: start a new game, select dwarf -> fighter/cleric, proceed to proficiencies. But after re-installing with the hotfixes, I'm no longer able to reproduce, either. Strange. I guess we can drop it for now.

So that only leaves installation error in 2.1, but (I suppose) it's not high-priority since most people are probably playing with spell tweaks anyway.

Looking forward to beta 3. Cheers!