help me to decide on double damage please

I play bg2 scs insane no reload. after so many years of baldurs gate and d&d i cannot play in any other way. but i cannot decide on double damage. without it i feel many times a little bored and find it too easy overall, but with double damage some absolutely nonsense stuff is happening. second chapter mages dropping 120dmg cone of cold and murdering permanently my teammates. pathetic thieves dropping backstabs for 100 and more damage.. what to do ? how to decide? i despise playing with cheese. in short i do nothing that my DM wouldnt accept on p&p session. would gratefuly hear some advise.

I cannot tell from your post if you already do - have you considered no reloads? Or a softer variant, which I prefer, allowing a reload only on mainchar death? It certainly keeps those low-thtill encounter a bit fresher by punishing carelessness, without resorting to increased numbers, and makes victories Victories, if you know what I mean, though possibly bittersweet ones if permadeath happens. 

I personally enjoy the game a lot despite being pretty much the only one I play, and that means every now and then I walk away from it for a few weeks (or months).

5 hours ago, gatperdut said:

I cannot tell from your post if you already do - have you considered no reloads?

I play no reload only :) however the further the game the more of sad accidents happen. one shot insta kills etc. it kind of ruins the fun. and im tired of having 10000 run ; p however without double damage it's so many times too easy. i think i will try no reload no double damage, will see how far i can go