Can't get into the maze to the undercity

Hi,
I'm on my first playthrough of BG:EET. Got all the way to the end of BG:EE - ducal palace confrontation complete, Sarevok teleported away, Duke Belt teleported me to the Thieves' Guild. But the thief doesn't greet me when I get there and tell me where Sarevok went, and I can't access the stairs to go down. Tried going back the palace, and Belt just teleports me back again with the same result - I can't get down to the maze.

-FP

Edited by flynnP

So, the way that's all scripted ...

The initial state of the area has lots of people. When you enter the area in chapter 7, nearly everyone despawns and some new "Rogue" characters spawn in at the entrances to tell you about it.

Then, post-palace, there's this block:

IF
	Global("DukeThanks","GLOBAL",1)
	!Exists("DENKOD")  // Denkod
	!Dead("DENKOD")  // Denkod
	!Dead("blacklily")  // Black Lily
THEN
	RESPONSE #100
		CreateCreature("DENKOD",[881.430],S)  // Denkod
		TriggerActivation("Door0146",TRUE)
END

And a slightly different version if Black Lily is dead - activate the way down, but don't spawn Denkod.

IF
	Dead("blacklily")  // Black Lily
	!Global("dw#thiefdoor","MYAREA",1)
THEN
	RESPONSE #100
		SetGlobal("dw#thiefdoor","MYAREA",1)
		EraseJournalEntry(31472)  // The Hunt for Sarevok Sarevok's plans have been shattered, but he has escaped to the Thieves' Guild. I must pursue him there and end his crusade of terror once and for all. If I do not, he will most likely return to strike at me in the future, perhaps when I am not prepared. The Grand Dukes can transport me to the Thieves' Guild instantaneously, so I must make haste.
		AddJournalEntry(31473,QUEST)  // The Maze Sarevok has fled the Thieves' Guild and has escaped into a maze. The maze leads to the Undercity, an old settlement that once stood where Baldur's Gate is now. It appears he intends to make his final stand there.
END

These blocks are in the area script AR0153.BCS, which becomes BG0153.BCS with EET. The "DukeThanks" variable is set by the dukes' dialogue, before you get teleported over.

So, troubleshooting. First, what's the state of the DukeThanks global variable? If it's not set to 1, it should be - and every time you run through that dialogue it gets set again. Second, if the variable is set, there's likely something wrong with the area script for the thieves' hideout - some block earlier in the script is broken and preempts the block that opens the door, every time the script runs. If you put up a copy of that file (it should be in your override, as BG0153.BCS), we might be able to spot what happened.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the tip!

I had already installed NearInfinity, but don't really know anything about modding so I didn't know what to look for. I loaded up BG0153.BCS and found this:

IF
    !Exists("DENKOD")  // Denkod
    Global("SarevokBehavior","GLOBAL",0)
    !Dead("DENKOD")  // Denkod
    !Dead("blacklily")  // Black Lily
THEN
    RESPONSE #100
        CreateCreature("DENKOD",[881.430],S)  // Denkod
END

I loaded up a save I had from after the palace scene, and found that "DukeThanks" was 1 but "SarevokBehavior" was also set to 1. So I set it to 0 and then went back in the thieves' hideout and Denkod appeared and spoke to me and the stairs were now open. And "SarevokBehavior" is now 1 again. So this allowed me to continue, I'm just not sure if what I just did will mess something else up down the road.

btw, I also have the Transitions mod installed so maybe there was some unexpected interaction there?

Edited by flynnP

Probably that, yes. In the vanilla game, SarevokBehavior is used in quite a few places to track the progress of the endgame plot. Values range from 0 to 4; 0 before the ducal palace, 1 after Sarevok flees the palace, 3 for the various loss conditions in the palace fight, 4 for when he personally attacks in the palace, 2 for the final battle.

Obviously, a mod that tinkers with how the BG1 endgame works has to tweak these things. And I'm not familiar with the details - I don't use the mod, or even play EET - so any more is a matter for Transitions support.