Dialog Compile Error

EiriktheScald

I get a compile error on the second 'IF' statement:

CHAIN
IF ~~ THEN ~ESEIRIKJ~ escommentscroll.2
@2020 /* @2020 = ~You must not count on that! But if you would take my counsel,~ */
=
@2021 /* @2021 = ~A coward believes he will ever live
if he keep him safe from strife:
but old age leaves him not long in peace
though spears may spare his life.~ */
IF ~~ THEN GOTO escommentscroll.5
EXIT

Would someone explain why? Thanks.

Well, I guess you get a sneak peak. :)

CHAIN 
IF WEIGHT #-1 ~Global("ESTarneshScroll","GLOBAL",2)~ THEN  ~ESEIRIKJ~  ESTarneshComment
@2000 /* @2000 = ~A sly, sneering sort of fellow. Much and strange is now afoot.~ */
== ~ESEIRIKJ~ IF ~InParty("imoen") InMyArea("imoen") !StateCheck("imoen",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN @2001 /* @2001 = ~'Let no one carve runes to cast a spell, save first they learn to read them well.' This is the wisdom of our runethanes. You would do well, Imoen, to heed <CHARNAME>'s advice.~ */
== ~_IMOEN2~ IF ~InParty("imoen") InMyArea("imoen") !StateCheck("imoen",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN @2002  /* @2002 = ~I 'spose yer right. What about these... runethanes, did you call them?~ */
== ~ESEIRIKJ~ IF ~InParty("imoen") InMyArea("imoen") !StateCheck("imoen",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN @2003 /* @2003 = ~Among my people, the runethanes work the arts of magic through ancient symbols of power. King Hallbjorn, of the House of Magnor, is a clever hunter and clever with weapons as well. But he is also a runecaster - he can stop storms, understand the birds, ease sorrows and give peace to the mind.~ */
== ~_IMOEN2~ IF ~InParty("imoen") InMyArea("imoen") !StateCheck("imoen",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN @2004  /* @2004 = ~Eirik, just between you and me, <CHARNAME> could use some peace of mind right now.~ */
== ~ESEIRIKJ~  @2005 /* @2005 = ~Come now, <CHARNAME>, tell us what is troubling you?~ */
END
++ @2006 /* @2006 = ~*Pass the scroll to Eirik*~ */ DO ~SetGlobal("ESTarneshScroll","GLOBAL",3)~ EXTERN ~ESEIRIKJ~ escommentscroll.1 
++ @2007 /* @2007 = ~Nothing, Eirik, I... I just have a lot on my mind. Let's go inside.~ */ DO ~SetGlobal("ESTarneshScroll","GLOBAL",3)~ EXIT 
++ @2008 /* @2008 = ~No more than what has already. I knew these assassins were pursuing me; let's hope he was the last.~ */ DO ~SetGlobal("ESTarneshScroll","GLOBAL",3)~ EXTERN ~ESEIRIKJ~ escommentscroll.2 

CHAIN
IF ~~ THEN ~ESEIRIKJ~ escommentscroll.1
@2010 /* @2010 = ~This is serious news...~ */ 
=
@2011 /* @2011 = ~But I know no more than before what is in your mind. This is my guess, and I can read more in your face and in your actions: You were fleeing Candlekeep when your father was slain, and now you doubt what lies ahead, or that you will ever return. Is this not so?~ */
DO ~TakePartyItem("_SCRLTARN")~
== ~_IMOEN2~ IF ~InParty("imoen") InMyArea("imoen") !StateCheck("imoen",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)~ THEN @2012  /* @2012 = ~Hey, you're smarter than ya look!~ */
END
++ @2013 /* @2013 = ~It is; Gorion was the only family I knew. He said he'd explain everything when there was time... time - something I took for granted.~ */ EXTERN ~ESEIRIKJ~ escommentscroll.3 
++ @2014 /* @2014 = ~*glance at Imoen disapprovingly* Go on then! Get to the point!~ */ EXTERN ~ESEIRIKJ~ escommentscroll.4 

CHAIN
@2020 /* @2020 = ~You must not count on that! But if you would take my counsel,~ */
=
EXIT

Here is the error message:

[eirik/dialogs/eseirikj.d] PARSE ERROR at line 43 column 1-2

Near Text: IF

syntax error

[eirik/dialogs/eseirikj.d] ERROR at line 43 column 1-2

Near Text: IF

Parsing.Parse_error

ERROR: parsing [eirik/dialogs/eseirikj.d]: Parsing.Parse_error

ERROR: compiling [eirik/dialogs/eseirikj.d]!

Stopping installation because of error.

All your tildes look like they're in the right spot, but I've got some suggestions for this block

CHAIN
=
EXIT

CHAIN
=
@2021 /* @2021 = ~A coward believes he will ever live,
but old age leaves him not long in peace,
EXTERN ~ESEIRIKJ~ escommentscroll.5

You don't want to EXIT a block you've just left using another command. I don't know if GOTO would even work here. I'd just use EXTERN with the file name.

Hope that helps...

Archived