Assertion failure: cVisibility.cpp line 258

perricath

Immediately after the characters get their experience, the game dies and the following error message comes up:

an assertion failed in CVisibility.cpp at line number 258

The area is AR1204 (Garren's cabin).

What I need to know is: What file do I need to replace to get this to go away? I know that an assertion error usually means a corrupted bif, but I don't know which bif it is likely to be.

Thanks!

That's a new one on me; usually one cleans out the cache and temp folders, and failing that, reverts to autosave.

A Bif is just a data archive (if that's corrupt, then your install is trashed!); the more common problem is that an animation doesn't correctly decompress when loaded into temporary memory.

That's a new one on me; usually one cleans out the cache and temp folders, and failing that, reverts to autosave.

A Bif is just a data archive (if that's corrupt, then your install is trashed!); the more common problem is that an animation doesn't correctly decompress when loaded into temporary memory.

Yep, cleaned out the cache, temp and tempsave folders, and I was working solely from an autosave (there's a qsave about 6 minutes real time before).

Ack. This is one of those days when I really wish the game was open-source -- it would be so much easier to fix if I could get in and see that C++ file.

I've built a workaround for the problem, and may have a clue as to where the issue lies.

The PC was using the Priest of Thieron kit from Ashes of Embers, and it appears that something in that kit wanted to display, but was not.

I used Near Infinity to modify the character to a plain old cleric, and the problem went away.

So current theory is that it is an ashes of embers cleric kit incompatibility.

Archived