The Great Druid?

Ayce

Also, I do agree that the only way to include all/most of the quests in any way that make (role-playing) sense is to allow continued play after defeating Irenicus (for the last time). Some people may argue, that there should be variation from game to game such that each character doesn't do all of the same quests every time, I consider this a valid point. However, not undertaking certain quests does deprive you of certain equipment which may be critical to your character, leaving you unable to create artifacts or equip <charname> with at least a +3 weapon, etc.

Following the sense of urgency of the main storyline could lead you to enter the underdark very poorly equipped, possibly not even having magic weapons for certain characters (hence, why I'm careful to plot and adventure path for my character that stretches role-playing sense about as far as you can and still have a credible story).

Then again, as I've pointed out in another thread, all of the quests get thrown at you so fast that you can't help but end up looking like a jerk for ignoring all of the urgent calls for help you're presented with or for leaving Imoen languishing in misery while running your stronghold and seeking your fortune.

Tying more side-quests into the main plot would help the story a whole lot. Also, as SixofSpades suggests, some simple dialog editing can go a long way towards relieving the pressure to move on with the main storyline. Still, much more can be done to improve the overall story of the game and still give other players that non-linear freedom they like so much.

Well, I for one don't feel that the various sidequests need to be tied into, or even have anything to do with, the Main Plot. Working the existing Athkatlan subquests into applying to related powers for aid in defeating Bodhi certainly isn't a bad idea, but it doesn't really fix the problem, either. What the player really needs is time, some big chunk of time in which he's free to start and complete any & all quests he might want to, without having to worry that Imoen is being tortured or that he's going to waste away to nothing unless he kills Irenicus in the next 3 days. You're never going to be able to make things like the Windspear Hills an unavoidable part of the Main Plot (BioWare tried, with their "Lenses of the Rhynn Lanthorn" idea, until they realized that it sucked), so if I were you, I wouldn't bother. As far as I can tell, the only logical resolutions to the problem are either to ease up on the "HurryUpHurryUp Factor" of Chapters 4/5/6/7, or allow the player to resume questing after defeating Irenicus in Hell (and subsequently talk to Ellesime again to start ToB).

Just to be clear, I wasn't advocating that all quests be made unavoidable parts of the main quest, but rather there were options to tie some/many of them into the main quest or even ties some sub-quests together. This would just add to the overall quality of the story.

In point of fact, it would be nice to be able to avoid some quests so as not to have a bunch of unresolved issues when you finish the game (especially when the game won't let you go back and finish them).

Also, when I say I would I plan an adventure path carefully, I don't try to create a path the includes ALL of the quests in a cohesive story. I merely mean that I try to plot the PC course so as to be able to take up as many quests as might seem reasonable in order to obtain the 20,000 GP you need to rescue Imoen (I know, 15,000, but the PC doesn't know that until later) while avoiding other quests that don't fit in with that particular adventure path. Meaning I take into account which NPCs trigger which quests and what quests will trigger what other quests and try to plan for which NPCs I will take when and at which point I will undertake certain quests, all in an effort to have a coherent, cohesive story unfold with my PC.

I am pleased with how it turned out with my last character (although I kind of gave up in Ch6 and just did everything anyway, but ch2 and ch3 turned out well.

In any event, you're right, PC needs time and tweaking some dialog could solve a lot of that hurry up mess. Having just finished SOA, I noticed some of the dialog with Elhan can be interpretted a less urgent without the dream sequence, especially when it really wasn't clear who took the Lanthorn and where. Irenicus could be just plotting his next move while you gather your strength to confront him. Perhaps the dream of carnage in the elven city could be put off until you actually defeat Bohdi..........................

On a similar note, as I suggested in a similar thread. I would have liked to see an option wherein PC could be a new bhaalspawn with no prior relationship with Imoen, etc. Possibly starting off with an entirely different set of NPCs. This would make a lot of character choices make more sense as many character options really don't suit the sheltered, even cloistered background of the PC raised in Candlekeep all of his life. All I'm saying is a lot of dialog could have been tweaked just slightly to make for a more options in creating a believable story..........

So what were we talking about..............oh yes, the Great Druid.............lol

Archived