GemRB and Baldur's Gate

Dreamtide

Okay, I got GemRB up and running.

Knowing that GemRB is still incomplete, I installed Baldur's Gate and tested it. Everything went okay. The game started and I was able to create a character. After that, however, I could do nothing but walk around on the first map (Candlekeep). I couldn't initiate dialogue, enter houses or access the menu. As a matter of fact, I didn't see any interface at all.

Is this just GemRB not being complete? If not, what do I need to do to play Baldur's Gate "properly"? I heard from others that they were able to play the game at least a little, but I can't do anything!

Help, please?

If you didn't see any interface, then the guiscript stuff didn't work correctly.

It could be because the gemrb.cfg wasn't set up correctly, or because python wasn't installed correctly.

GemRB opens a console and outputs lots of information there.

If you want some diagnosis on what had gone wrong, please cut&paste relevant parts from it.

Relevant parts are those with [error] or [not found] in them, usually printed in red, or yellow.

Not all such lines cause a fatal problem, so don't stop at the first [not found] line.

First, look for 4-5 consecutive lines printed in red. It should be some kind of guiscript error message. (You will most likely see 'guiscript' somewhere in the beginning).

When I start the game, after creating a character, I get the following errors:

[GUIScript]: Missing function:UpdateControlStatus

And further down:

[GUIScript]: Missing function:StartTextScreen

And when I try to initiate dialogue:

[GUIScript]: Missing function:UpdateControlStatus

[GameControl]: Dialog aborted??? [GUIScript]: Missing function:UpdateControlStatus

Could this be what causes the problem?

No, these are only symptoms. The guiscripts for the main game couldn't load.

I think the problem is that you didn't install python.

That is the only stuff you need to install, because i couldn't get around of some problem.

You can download it from here:

http://python.org/download/

You need the windows installer: http://python.org/ftp/python/2.5.1/python-2.5.1.msi

Ok, look for your python install, and find python25.dll (if you installed python 2.5.x you should find it).

Then look for python24.dll (or python23.dll, i forgot which) in gemrb's directory.

Copy your installed python dll over my python dll version (overwrite my dll).

This should fix it.

If it didn't fix it, please look in the console log more, there should be 2-3 red lines before the ones you already mentioned.

I'm afraid it didn't fix it.

However, the only other red lines I see are:

[CREImp]: Dangling item in creature: plat01!

UpdateWeaponAnimation: 0, 35, 35, 4

UpdateWeaponAnimation: 35

Loading animations

And more like these...

Do they have anything to do with it?

Okay. Here goes:

[scriptable]: No current area[GUIScript]: Loading Script MessageWindow...Traceback (most recent call last):

File "e:/gemrb/gemrb/GUIScripts/bg1/MessageWindow.py", line 28, in <module>

from GUIINV import *

File "e:/gemrb/gemrb/GUIScripts/bg1/GUIINV.py", line 25, in <module>

import string

ImportError: No module named string

[ERROR]

Eh, yes, but it seems like I did something wrong.

Everything seems to be working fine now, except for one thing: I still can't enter houses. Is this correct?

Thanks for your help so far!

Archived