[Max OS X] Testing results - 1PP vs. Moinesse Avatars

ericp07

Hello,

Tonight I restored critical files and deleted aliases (Mac equivalent of Shortcuts) in my BGII folder, to give myself a fresh install of BGII - SoA with ToB and the latest ToB patch (2.1.2), then installed the 1PP mod, using Install-mod.sh from the Terminal. The docs for this mod name it "BG2 Artwork Fixpack, Version 2." I started a new multiplayer game with an imported character from a character file, and played up to the hallway beyond the room where a genie askes a hypothetical question. Then I rested the party. Everything looked and worked as it should, but I was surprised to see that the Amulet of Power showed as unusable by a ranger (my main character), when I'm used to seeing her able to use it. I quit the game, then restored critical files.

Then, I installed Moinesse Avatars, and repeated the testing process. I got the same results of everything looking and behaving as it should, but the amulet issue persisted. Played up to the same point, rested, quit, and again restored files.

Next, I installed first 1PP, then Moinesse, and played another test game. Install-mod.sh asked if I wanted to reinstall items at the start of each mod install, which surprised me, but I went ahead to reinstall the same items as before with each mod. All looked and acted correctly, including the long-haired female paperdolls. Same amulet issue here. Played, rested, quit, restored.

Finally, I installed first Moinesse, then 1PP, and played another test game. This time, things looked and acted as they should, but when the party finished with the goblins in the hallway after the genie with the question, the NPCs stopped moving as a group (they weren't encumbered or anything), and I could move them only by clicking one at a time, and moving each for short distances, in straight and unobstructed lines, till they were all in a group again. Played, rested, quit.

For all the beauty of the 1PP graphics, a strange issue I've noticed is that the paperdolls don't hold their weapons, but rather the weapons float right next to the character's hand. This doesn't occur without the mod, whether Moinesse is installed or not. Just a curiosity.

My conclusion is that these two mods work fine together, regardless of install order, when no other mods are installed. I suppose I should next install the BG2 Fixpack v.4, then do this all over, to see if all three mods work together as well, then continue adding one mod at a time to the mix, until I get a crash or other unwanted behavior.

That's where things stand as of tonight, and now it's about time for bed :(

Happy gaming,

Eric

Here are the results of this morning's work:

Testing BG2 Artwork Fixpack v.2 (AKA 1PP v2 remix) and Moinesse Avatar Fixpack v.2 for BGII - SoA/ToB with latest ToB patch (2.1.2) installed under Mac OS X. With BG2 Fixpack v.4 installed.

1PP - Played new game w/imported character. Amulet of Power usable by ranger: yes. Buckler doesn't appear on paperdoll. All looks/acts properly. Played and rested with no problems.

Uninstalled 1PP. BG2 Fixpack reinstalled.

Moinesse Avatar Fixpack - Amulet: yes. All looks/acts properly.

Uninstalled Moinesse. BG2 Fixpack reinstalled.

1PP, then Moinesse - All looks/acts properly. Long-haired paperdolls and avatars present, as are 1PP item graphics. Weapons held float next to hands on inventory screen. The mod's creator reports that this should not be. I suspect it's a Mac issue.

Uninstalled both; BG2 Fixpack reinstalled.

Moinesse, then 1PP - All looks/acts properly. Long-haired paperdolls and avatars present, as are 1PP item graphics. Weapons held float next to hands on inventory screen.

That's where things stand as of noon today. There are a couple other tests I could do, and I might possibly do better to completely wipe out my game and reinstall everything from CDs, but I'm really hoping that won't be necessary :(

Happy gaming,

Eric

Progress on this issue:

Over at Spellhold Studios, I've been in conversation with some people who are working to sort out the compatibility of these two mods. It appears the developer and another modder have identified the cause of an anomaly my Mac has been displaying, where 1PP (specifically the 1PP remix) causes the weapons on the inventory screen to appear "floating" next to the paperdoll's hands, instead of being held in hand. I'll be testing a fix for this today.

Looking forward to putting the lid on this, and then testing more mods together :( For now, it appears that it's indeed possible to get 1PP and Moinesse Avatars mods to play nice together.

Happy gaming,

Eric

Archived