Xan Romance Initialisation

meat axe

Hey. I've just picked up Xan, and I intend to romance him. However, the romance doesn't seem to initiate. I've checked the Global Variables, and there doesn't seem to be any romance checks in there. I was romancing Coran when I first picked Xan up, so I tried ending that beforehand, and still nothing showed up. The only other thing I can think of is that I had to use Shadowkeeper to change my race to Elf (I'm using the Arcane Fist bard kit) but I've changed race in a previous game so I was compatible with a romance, and it didn't have any problems.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could tell me the variables that I could add to start the romance. Or is it normal for Xan to not have the "X#NPCROMANCEMATCH" variable?

To romance Xan, you have to be an elf. (Or a half-elf, but I wouldn't recommend it. :p )

If you're sleeping with Coran and your romance isn't over, then Xan's romance won't start.

The variables are these:

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("X#XANMatch","GLOBAL")

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("X#XARomanceActive","GLOBAL")

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("X#XARomanceInactive","GLOBAL") - if this variable exists and is 1, it means your romance started and finished; not likely, though.

To romance Xan, you have to be an elf. (Or a half-elf, but I wouldn't recommend it. :p )

If you're sleeping with Coran and your romance isn't over, then Xan's romance won't start.

The variables are these:

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("X#XANMatch","GLOBAL")

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("X#XARomanceActive","GLOBAL")

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("X#XARomanceInactive","GLOBAL") - if this variable exists and is 1, it means your romance started and finished; not likely, though.

Yeah, I was sleeping with Coran, but I would have thought all the variables would have been added (or at least the match one) anyway. But even when I ended the romance with Coran and kicked him out when I picked up Xan, the variables didn't get added, so I wasn't sure what was going on.

Anyway, I'll just add them manually through Shadowkeeper. I'm tempted to wait until Coran's romance is over, but I kind of want to see the conflict between the two of them (but I might have to reset the variables since I've already started sleeping with Coran).

Alright, thanks for that.

Kicking Coran out won't stop his romance: in fact, once the player slept with him, the player is powerless to finish the romance on his own terms - you can only wait until Coran dumps you, mostly.

But you also can set a variable via console:

CLUAConsole:Global("P#CoranRomanceInactive","GLOBAL",1)

Too many variables have to be tweaked to see the conflict, however, so I bet you won't see it in the end. I recommend starting a new game and taking Ajantis with you, if you really want to see everything - full challenges only happen with both Coran and Ajantis in party.

Kicking Coran out won't stop his romance: in fact, once the player slept with him, the player is powerless to finish the romance on his own terms - you can only wait until Coran dumps you, mostly.

But you also can set a variable via console:

CLUAConsole:Global("P#CoranRomanceInactive","GLOBAL",1)

Too many variables have to be tweaked to see the conflict, however, so I bet you won't see it in the end. I recommend starting a new game and taking Ajantis with you, if you really want to see everything - full challenges only happen with both Coran and Ajantis in party.

Damn. Alright, I can't be bothered starting a new game, so I'll either just continue on with the Coran romance, or end it and start one with Xan. Or I might have a save game just before I slept with Coran. I have a feeling that happened just before I went into the mines, so I haven't gotten too far past there. Thanks for all your help.

Guest r0gershrubber

The Readme says that you only need to be a female PC. I had planned on romancing Xan.

Incidentally, is there any way to fiddle with some variables to start the romance in spite of the fact that my PC is not an elf?

No, because quite a few of your lovetalks are branched for "elves/half_elves". (Incidentally, in Xan BG2, you can do this - as long as you set the romance acive variable to 1 or 2, you can romance him with any character).

There's a full Romance Guide in Documentation subfolder of BG1 NPC Project folder - with full requirements, first lines of each lovetalk and so on.

Archived