Question rather than a problem

Yovaneth

I set up WS with a 1600x1200 screen size to run BGTuTu windowed on a 1600x1200 screen. However, it came up fullscreen - is this expected behaviour? Just in case you're wondering why I would do something so stupid,

I'm running an nVidia 7600 which has serious mouse delay on some screens (e.g. inventory, game options) when fullscreen but always reacts smoothly when run windowed. I knew I shouldn't have taken that old GeForce 5700LE out.....

-Y-

Er, if you want to run windowed you need to use a smaller resolution (E.G. 1500 x 1000) or there will be problems (or it might not work... I only sporadically tested windowed). Did you read the thread on NVidia cards? While it focuses on serie 8 cards, it should help with serie 5-6-7 as well.

Also, maybe it's time to upgrade the RAM and/or biff some sound files if it jerks.

My videocard setup is already that suggested in the SHS thread. It's not a great problem as there is no jerkiness on the main game screen; that's why I said 'question' rather than 'problem'. I'll try reducing the screensize and see what happens; either way, I'll add a final comment into this thread.

-Y-

A few final comments on this:

I'm using a 22" LCD monitor so all tests were done at widescreen sizes using the BG2 version of the Infinity Engine. Oddly, the ATI cards (Club HD2400 Pro, HIS HD2600) came out better than the nVidia (nVidia 7600LE). I say 'oddly' because in general I'm not a fan of ATI for historical reasons.

The nVidia card required that 3D acceleration was turned off, otherwise I ended up with white artifacts on the screen at all times. The ATI cards were happy with it turned on and peformed flawlessly. This seemed to be a result of using an LCD monitor because on a 22" CRT the 7600LE ran at 4:3 resolutions with no artifacting.

Setting any widescreen mode to launch fullscreen almost always resulted in a crash, sometimes needing a reboot to get out of the resulting blackscreen. Setting a windowed mode to the same size as the desktop resolution resulted in the game launching in fullscreen mode and running okay (subject to the 3D acceleration requirement). I didn't get any problems with any cards running in any windowed modes less than desktop resolution (again, subject to the 3D acceleration, yet the nVidia 7600LE did sometimes run 3D acceleration windowed without problems).

I have no idea whether this information is of any use, but there you go. :thumbsup:

-Y-

Archived