Soloing a Sorceror through SCS II V.6.

Ilyich

The spear isn't "unrealistically helpful". (Apart from anything else, I don't think "realism" can strictly be applied to the dungeon under the Asylum!)

Goblin pillar is a bug; will fix. It's not actually related to the general thief problem: it's because the commandos are trying to backstab you but aren't able to reach.

Ok, some probably unrelated to SCS II Underdark weirdness now.

The first of these is, as far as I can tell completely unrelated to SCS II, but Vithal and the Elemental portals related to his quest exhibited some odd behaviour. Firstly, the portals didn't summon any regular elementals (I think I read somewhere that they summon 1 for every time you save your game) and Vithal did not require his book to start the "teleport away, fight a Greater Elemental" thing that goes on. Also the earth portal didn't summon its Greater Elemental for some reason.

Smarter Beholders also exhibited some oddness, though it seems more likely to be a Quest Pack problem than SCS II. First, there are 2 completely identical Elder Orbs, which wasn't a problem until I got 2 Equaliser blades. Second, Beholders are not immune to Web, which given that they float, is a little bit strange to say the least.

Apologies for the timing of this with v.6 on the way and if these are not from your mod, but I figured they would be OK to post here for the time being at least.

Second, Beholders are not immune to Web, which given that they float, is a little bit strange to say the least.

Eh? Whyever would they be immune? Flies and wasps also fly and seem to stumble into webs quite often to me...

OK, this is very helpful.

Ok, some probably unrelated to SCS II Underdark weirdness now.

The first of these is, as far as I can tell completely unrelated to SCS II, but Vithal and the Elemental portals related to his quest exhibited some odd behaviour. Firstly, the portals didn't summon any regular elementals (I think I read somewhere that they summon 1 for every time you save your game) and Vithal did not require his book to start the "teleport away, fight a Greater Elemental" thing that goes on. Also the earth portal didn't summon its Greater Elemental for some reason.

I've just seen this on my own playthrough and put it down to local weirdness. I'll check it out.

Smarter Beholders also exhibited some oddness, though it seems more likely to be a Quest Pack problem than SCS II. First, there are 2 completely identical Elder Orbs, which wasn't a problem until I got 2 Equaliser blades.

That's from QP, though since I borrowed QP's code, I take responsibility :laugh: Fixed locally.

Second, Beholders are not immune to Web, which given that they float, is a little bit strange to say the least.

Please tell me that the only beholder you've seen get caught in the web is the second Elder Orb. I know why this is, but if any other beholder is getting caught, I'll cry. (Making the damn things - and in particular, their simulacra - immune to web was a nightmare.)

Apologies for the timing of this with v.6 on the way and if these are not from your mod, but I figured they would be OK to post here for the time being at least.

It's fine.

Eh? Whyever would they be immune? Flies and wasps also fly and seem to stumble into webs quite often to me...

Well, they are in vanilla BG2. I suppose web is assumed not to fill the whole corridor - either that, or they're big enough to barrel through it.

Mind Flayers are, with the exception of the Alhoon, easy to defeat thanks to Greater Deathblow.
I found them quite interesting instead, especially because of their ability to teleport near weakest foes. Keep in mind that a lvl 39 Berserker with HLAs is far more powerful than a full mid-level party, and that's exactly why I would nevever play solo without an XPcap like Zyraen's one.
(if this is an oversight from the Remove unrealistically unhelpful items, ignore it, otherwise NO party combination will get through the maze alive, with no way to defend against the vast majority of enemies)
Actually a balanced party (e.g. fighter+thief+cleric+mage) won't find it impossible at all. I love this component because it's both challanging and role playing wise (who would left his prisoners fully equipped?!). The only real problem I can think of may arise if the lich near the library is spawned: a solo character or a mid/low level party may find him unbeateable. Which I think is one of the reasons DavidW added the option to not include liches in the improved spawns.
They should be immune to entangle and grease too imo.
[..]

Smarter Beholders also exhibited some oddness, though it seems more likely to be a Quest Pack problem than SCS II. First, there are 2 completely identical Elder Orbs, which wasn't a problem until I got 2 Equaliser blades. Second, Beholders are not immune to Web, which given that they float, is a little bit strange to say the least.

[...]

Same here, including not only a second blade but also a second Amulet of Spell Warding.

[...]
They should be immune to entangle and grease too imo.

Mhm... makes sense balancewise. But Grease and Web are spells which seem to cover the floor. In the first case it's simply some sort of oil or whatever while in the latter case it's well... a web. Entangle on the other hand works not like this, iirc. I may be wrong but Entangle makes plants in the area of effect actually grab the creatures within it. Therefore a floating beholder could be entangled as well, if it's grabbed and finally entangled by tendrils of some sort, no?

DavidW, it was only the 2nd Elder Orb, the one in the alcove roughly equivalent to the area with the Rift Device in the Temple Sewers Beholder lair. Is this the one you refer to?

Yep. That's a relief. He's not really supposed to be there in the first place, and he doesn't have the protective item that grants beholders immunity to web (and that motivated that double-web sequencer in the first place).

Update.

Mind Flayers are fine, no problems at all with this.

Bodhi is also fine for the most part, until you fight Bodhi herself. After her defeat, you are supposed to stake her, and the Lanthorn appears in a compartment in her coffin. However, Bodhi just died, there was no retreat to her coffin, and no staking, no Lanthorn. It happened again, very bizarre.

Finally, the Kruin fight, under Improved Githyanki is, in a word, epic. However, the majority of Gith having normal weapons is not particularly difficult to deal with. To illustrate this, I have a screenshot of the aftermath: - http://tinyurl.com/555mvs

Update.

Mind Flayers are fine, no problems at all with this.

Bodhi is also fine for the most part, until you fight Bodhi herself. After her defeat, you are supposed to stake her, and the Lanthorn appears in a compartment in her coffin. However, Bodhi just died, there was no retreat to her coffin, and no staking, no Lanthorn. It happened again, very bizarre.

Oops. Fixed in version 6. Workaround: at the console, do

CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("c6bmist")

Finally, the Kruin fight, under Improved Githyanki is, in a word, epic. However, the majority of Gith having normal weapons is not particularly difficult to deal with. To illustrate this, I have a screenshot of the aftermath: - http://tinyurl.com/555mvs

Sorry, what am I looking for?

Sorry, what am I looking for?

Oh, sorry about that, just illustrating how powerful Kruin is if his wild surges go in his favour, in this case he got an "Area Effect" on Summon Fiend.

Edit. That CLUA worked, I now have the Lanthorn. Thanks David.

Archived