Ps:T Gui Enhacments

Guest b.IT

Hi,

thanks to the widescreen mod im happily in the middle of a Ps:T game. Great work!

But IMHO the gui really could use a revamp.

Mainly, there are two things I'd like to do to the worldview (i.e. the main playing screen):

a) I'd like to add a (preferably) scrollable console for the provided feedback (die rolls, hits, statchanges, dialogs etc) like in IWD2

b) display npc/opponent hitpoints or state (wounded, near death) along with the name during fights

Can this be done at all? And (if yes) what would be the necessary steps to do so?

These two things are not mod related. They imply changing the game engine itself (patching the exe). Don't expect such things unless someone dedicates a huge amount of time to reverse engineer the code.

The Widescreen mod started from someone "mad" enough (and skilled) to search where to patch the exe in order to change the size of the display in BG2 (without adapting the GUI) by tweaking one of the resolution already handled by the game. From that, some other people were able the find the equivalent patches in the other games. The bigg implemented a mod around the game patch to improve the GUI and work around some game engine limitations in BG and PS:T.

Although this looks simple, it was not easy.

What you're after is one patch of a much larger scale: adding things that are not present. That implies deassembling the executable and adding things in the code. *This* is pure madness in my opinion. That wouldn't be easy even with the source code from the developper.

*This* is pure madness in my opinion.

Probably :laugh:

I hoped the console window it could be achieved by adding the graphics in Infinity Explorer and assigning the (existing) output via a script command, but I haven't done any assembler since the early 90ies - and all l did back then was removing nagscreens and simple copy protections for fun with WinICE (yes, I know, I was a baaad boy...) ;)

Ok, I'll forget about it.

(Sorry, got to hurry - I have an appointment with a certain night hag...)

Archived