How to get the game "out of the corner"

Guest Aerothorn

Guest Aerothorn

So, I'm playing BG1/TotSC with this Widescreen mod. I'm on a 15' laptop with 1440x900 resolution, and using a Geforce 7300 Go. I figured that using the native resolution would make the text WAY too small, so I decided to run it at a smaller resolution - say, 1080 x 675. But when I run in that way, I have two problems.

1. The movies run at the 640x480 resolution, making them REALLY TINY on this laptop.

2. The game window is stuck in the corner of my screen - despite being the proper aspect ratio it won't stretch, even when I set my computer to do flat-panel scaling.

Any ideas on how to fix these? Thanks for your help.

Guest Aerothorn

Thanks for the help. Sorry if I couldn't find the answer to the first one - I did read the readme and common problems thread. Guess I missed it.

Not all the GUIs are ported in the optimal way to the larger resolution. The main GUI (where you choose "Start Game", "Options",...) as well all various screens ("Load", "Mage Spells"...) are centered, with a black cover (SoA, HoW, ToB, IWD2) or forced to the upper left (PST, TotSC). The main game GUI (where you can move your characters, attack people etc.) is stretched properly, enlarging even the dialogue screen (SoA, ToB, HoW) or might display black bars (PST, IWD2, TotSC). Additionally, in PST the "character action" menu you get by right clicking in the game area cannot move out of the 640x480 box.

I just found out about this widescreen/res mod today - thanks ever so much whoever made it, now I can fully enjoy this game again, the way I used to when it was first sold.

I've got a problem regarding "the corner" as well though. I don't mind things like the menu screen being over in the top-left corner (although if there is anything I can tweak to centre them, even if they're still tiny, it would be preferable) - but it can be quite distracting when the game decides to use that 640x480 square in the corner as its focus point during dialogue. Whenever I talk to another character, my Nameless One whooshes over into the corner for the duration of the conversation.

In a game that's very heavy on the dialogue, I can imagine this becoming quite frustrating. Is this an expected issue and something I'll just have to learn to live with, or is there something I can do to put a stop to it? Clearly the game is attempting to move the characters to the centre of the screen, but is only paying attention to its image of the original screen up in the corner. Can the game be told to place that box somewhere more central to a modern screen?

I've attempted to, but couldn't.

Well, thanks for trying. I'll just have to pay more attention to the dialogue in those parts instead of ogling the scenery. :laugh:

I've attempted to, but couldn't.

Well, thanks for trying. I'll just have to pay more attention to the dialogue in those parts instead of ogling the scenery. :)

If you know how to use basic weidu you can fix that.

Here are the offsets for 4CD version:

Offset	   New Value
0x9a60b 	 x/2
0x9a617	  y-180/2

And for 2CD version:

Offset	   New Value
0x9a5cb	  x/2
0x9a5d7	  y-180/2

Archived