"Chosen" Kit

Hide and Seek

I'm new when it comes to modding, at best, I've learned to create items, and after having watched some of the tutorials here, I've wanted to make character kits. Many of them, but better to start slow, since I know practically nothing but that I've seen in the tutorials.

Right, to make a long story short. I want to make a so-called "Chosen" kit. Their story is quite simple, they could be an everyday farmer or a noble(albeit stronger or more intelligent than usual) or a mercenary who is uncannily successful in avoiding death. One of their parents are most likely a mage, and the other one a true fighter. Though most people study to learn their profession, a "Chosen" learns from field experience. The "Chosen" is a fighter, but learns to harness magic energy to a lesser extent.

Now, my best bet would be to create something similar to the Wushi Ninja kit, but to use a fighter kit instead, due to weapon abilities. Would the DLTCEP/WeiDU be able to help me through the tutorials? I noticed there was another link to a guide, but I decided to ask here first, cause no matter how many tutorials I look through, I always need all the help I could find.

Start with Cam's tutorial to get a basic kit installed, and let us know if you run into problems or have any questions. You'll probably want something that can extract the game's 2DA files, like NI or DLTCEP so you can figure out the meaning of the many strings of ~1 1 0 0 1 1 1...~ you'll be adding (or use http://iesdp.gibberlings3.net/files/2da/2da_tob/index.htm).

I am grateful for all the help I can get.

I'm currently stuck going back and forth between the second and the third part of the guide. I'm not sure how to use DLTCEP to follow the steps in the second part, so this is all I've gotten so far without copying Cam's guide.

BACKUP ~Chosen/backup~ //

AUTHOR ~My@hotmail.com~ // contact address displayed if installation fails

BEGIN ~Chosen Kit~ //

ADD_KIT ~F!Chosen~

And that's all I've managed to get.

I don't know how to continue with DLTCEP or what I'm supposed to do next. :)

I do apologize for posting things like this over and over, I am a very slow learner when it comes to coding.

I am grateful for all the help I can get.

I'm currently stuck going back and forth between the second and the third part of the guide. I'm not sure how to use DLTCEP to follow the steps in the second part, so this is all I've gotten so far without copying Cam's guide.

Copying can help immensely. If you can manage to get a kit installed successfully, you can keep going back and tweaking things until it resembles the kit that you planned. I'd suggest copying the completed block from Part 3 and editing from there.

BACKUP ~Chosen/backup~ //

AUTHOR ~My@hotmail.com~ // contact address displayed if installation fails

BEGIN ~Chosen Kit~ //

ADD_KIT ~F!Chosen~

And that's all I've managed to get.

I don't know how to continue with DLTCEP or what I'm supposed to do next. :)

I do apologize for posting things like this over and over, I am a very slow learner when it comes to coding.

Try using the IESDP list I linked, it should have the same information as the files you would view with DLTCEP, but with additional comments to explain them. When you see one of Cam's lines like:

// appended to ABCLASRQ.2da
~C!Selune				0	   0	   0	   0	   9	   0~

Open the IESDP page on abclasrq.2da (ie. this) to find out what the values mean. In this case, the first item in your list (C!Selune) is the name of the kit. The second is the minimum strength value the kit requires. (Remembering Part 1 of the tutorial, having minimum ability requirements will cause characters to roll at least that high on their ability scores for this ability at character generation if they select this kit.) The third through seventh values listed above represent the minimum values for the other statistics: dexterity, constitution, intelligence, wisdom, and charisma. You can see that Cam's kit has a minimum wisdom score of 9. Since you know what it does now, you can easily change this line to match any ability requirements you want your kit to have (remember to update the name of the kit in the first entry to match your ADD_KIT - this goes for every line).

By checking the IESDP listings on each of the .2da files mentioned (and reading Cam's notes in Part 2), you should be able to figure out many of the other lines, but if you can't get past something, don't be afraid to come back here.

One last thing - the C! located in various parts of Cam's tutorial is his personal modder prefix, which is used so that one modder doesn't accidentally name something the same as another modder, which would cause problems if someone tried to install both of their mods. I saw that you've included F! in your kit name above, but you may want to register a prefix at the community prefix listing to make sure someone else hasn't already taken it and/or ensure no one does so in the future.

Good luck!

Copying can help immensely. If you can manage to get a kit installed successfully, you can keep going back and tweaking things until it resembles the kit that you planned. I'd suggest copying the completed block from Part 3 and editing from there.

Aye, maybe that would be more effective in the long run.

The second is the minimum strength value the kit requires. (Remembering Part 1 of the tutorial, having minimum ability requirements will cause characters to roll at least that high on their ability scores for this ability at character generation if they select this kit.)

So that was what it was doing. :p

I'm going to re-check that line.

One last thing - the C! located in various parts of Cam's tutorial is his personal modder prefix, which is used so that one modder doesn't accidentally name something the same as another modder

And here I thought it was a reference to the character kit class.

Thanks alot, you've made it a little easier for me to get.

Archived