Special versions of spells and spell-like abilities/Demons/Installation order

RestInPeace

Hello, Demivrgvs.

1. In BG2, many spells used by npcs are not the same version as the ones the player can cast. For instance, symbols used by liches are not the same ones as those you can cast from your spell book. Demiliches use special versions of imprisonment and wail of banshee. Are those spells modified to work in the same way as similar SR spells?

2. Some creatures have spell-like abilities. Beholders are a good example. Are their petrification, disintegrate, etc. abilities modified?

3. In SR, Glabrezu can cast protection from evil. This is not stated in the readme.

Pit fiends now fight with each other. I had installed the "corrected summoned demon behavior" component of g3 fixpack, but it was then overwriten by SR.

4. As it is stated in the readme:"In general, it should be installed after BG2 Fixpack and before AI enhancing mods. Install it before all mods that change spells unless you want their version." But I still have no idea where I should put SR in my installation queue:

G3 Fixpack - This one should go first.

Ascension

Tactics

Kensai Ryu's Random Wilderness Encounters

Smarter Dragons

Mike Barnes' Improved North Forest

Kensai Ryu's Improved Crypt King

Mike Barnes' Improved Small Teeth Pass

Tougher Demons (I have not yet decided whether install this one or SR's)

Oversight (Tougher Sendai only)

Slightly Improved Ilyich

Revised Battles

Knights of Dark Renown

Improved Chromatic Demon

Improved Kiser Jhaeri

Improved Trademeet Crypt

Improved Shade Lord

Improved Cohrvale, Bregg & Alamas

Improved Master Brain

Improved Mad Cleric

Improved Mencar Pebblecrusher

Tower of Deception

Ding0's Questpack

Improved Horns of Valhalla

Wild Mage Additions (This mod adds some interesting wild spells to the game. I wonder whether the new spells will work properly with SR. For example, can Entropy Shield be brought down by SR's pierce shield/spell strike?)

Banter pack

g3 anniversary

Unfinished Business

Dungeon crawl

Assasinations

Edwin Romance

Zyraen's Miscellany

Expanded Spell Progressions (paladin and ranger)

Some SR's druid spells such as Animal Summoning III were missing from rangers' spell book. But ranger/cleric got all druid and cleric spells properly.

1. In BG2, many spells used by npcs are not the same version as the ones the player can cast. For instance, symbols used by liches are not the same ones as those you can cast from your spell book. Demiliches use special versions of imprisonment and wail of banshee. Are those spells modified to work in the same way as similar SR spells?
Symbols used by liches and demon knights are changed to work as per SR yes. I haven't touched demi-lich's howl and trap the sould abilities, but I probably should you're right.

2. Some creatures have spell-like abilities. Beholders are a good example. Are their petrification, disintegrate, etc. abilities modified?
I was thinking about working on beholder's rays, but I haven't changed all spell-like abilities in-game and I'm not planning to change them all unless I'll have a lot of time to do it.

3. In SR, Glabrezu can cast protection from evil. This is not stated in the readme.

Pit fiends now fight with each other. I had installed the "corrected summoned demon behavior" component of g3 fixpack, but it was then overwriten by SR.

:( I'm quite sure glabrezus casting Protection from Evil is not related to SR, I've checked my custom script and there's no mention of that spell.

Regarding "corrected summoned demon behavior" I shouldn't have messed with it, but I'll check it.

4. As it is stated in the readme:"In general, it should be installed after BG2 Fixpack and before AI enhancing mods. Install it before all mods that change spells unless you want their version." But I still have no idea where I should put SR in my installation queue:...
You're using AI enhancing mods which are quite old, while my statement was referring to most recent ones like RR and SCS which use a much more updated Detectable Spell component. I'll look into it, anyway if you install SR before Tactics and Improved Battles I'm quite sure you'll be fine.

Wild Mage Additions

This mod adds some interesting wild spells to the game. I wonder whether the new spells will work properly with SR. For example, can Entropy Shield be brought down by SR's pierce shield/spell strike?
It depends on how the author coded/flagged those spells, it doesn't depend on me.

Expanded Spell Progressions (paladin and ranger)

Some SR's druid spells such as Animal Summoning III were missing from rangers' spell book. But ranger/cleric got all druid and cleric spells properly.
SR's druid/ranger spells are correctly added to both druids and rangers, thus if you're experiencing any issue it's not caused by SR. Animal Summoning III is a 6th level spell, does rangers are allowed to cast up to 6th level spell with that component? It seems extremely overpowered to me.

AI enhancing mods:

"Questpack" and "Slightly Improved Ilyich" use Detectable Spells v1.9

Because my old computer cannot run SCSII smoothly, I have to find some alternative. Certain components of Tactics and Revised Battles are good candidates.

Wild Mage Additions:

If spell A introduced by a mod is expected to be brought down by spell B in vanilla game, how does A recognise B?

If in vanilla game spell C cannot be brought down by spell D but you want to make spell D bring down spell C, which spell should be modified?

Expanded Spell Progressions:

With that mod they can cast a limited number of druid/cleric spells up to lv7, but at very high levels. I just want to make Minsc a bit more powerful...

AI enhancing mods

"Questpack" and "Slightly Improved Ilyich" use Detectable Spells v1.9

Because my old computer cannot run SCSII smoothly, I have to find some alternative. Certain components of Tactics and Revised Battles are good candidates.

Should I install Ascension before or after SR?
Just install either Questpack or Slightlly Improved Ilych (I loved that mod) after SR if they have detectable spell included. The respective Detectable Spell component will patch SR's spells and everything should be fine.

Wild Mage Additions

If spell A introduced by a mod is expected to be brought down by spell B in vanilla game, how does A recognise B?

If in vanilla game spell C cannot be brought down by spell D but you want to make spell D bring down spell C, which spell should be modified?

:( Breach brings down 'combat/specific protections', while Pierce Magic tears down 'spell protections'. If mod-introduced spells are flagged as they should then everything will be fine. You have to look with NI to those spells to know how they are flagged.

Expanded Spell Progressions

With that mod they can cast a limited number of druid/cleric spells up to lv7, but at very high levels. I just want to make Minsc a bit more powerful...
If the mod just adds slots of up to 7th level than rangers should get any druid spell. Allowing rangers to cast 4th level spell and granting them a "caster level" higher than 9 is sensible imo, but allowing them to cast 7th level spells is really overpowered (even if it's just one 7th level spell per day).
If the mod just adds slots of up to 7th level than rangers should get any druid spell. Allowing rangers to cast 4th level spell and granting them a "caster level" higher than 9 is sensible imo, but allowing them to cast 7th level spells is really overpowered (even if it's just one 7th level spell per day).

Paladins and rangers' caster level is not capped at 9 in the vanilla game. Their caster level is current level -8.

Archived