New Project

blendman

Hi

I'm new here. Sorry for my langage, because, I don't speak English very well (I'm French).

So, I'm interested in GemRB, because I would like to create a game (a 3D ismotric RPG game). I'm not a coder, but I make 3D (and 2D) and so 3D isometric rendering.

I have make some tests with some "game makers", but I would like to found an engine more performant.

So I have some questions about GemRB :p :

- can I make a new game with it, even if it's a commercial game ?

- this engine (gemRB) use "sprites" ? (even for the backgrounds). How can I make the map, is there a sort of map editor ?

- what sort of format are supported (for the sprite) ? bmp, jpg, PNG ? Are the alpha chanel of png supported ?

- can I have a resolution more than 1024*768 ?

Thank you for your answer and sorry for the langage :p.

Some picture (3D iso) of the game I make (these pictures are screenshots from the game (wip)):

screenshot_sature.jpg

screenshot_desert_hoz.jpg

test_autre_rendu.jpg

DLTCEP can convert a bmp to the game format the IE (and GemRB) uses.

You can use GemRB for a commercial game.

You don't even have to supply the data files of your game back to us.

Either of two things you should do:

1. either submit the patches you made to the engine (plugins, core, python scripts) back to us.

2. publish the COMPILABLE source of your version of gemrb (according to the GPL).

Point 1 is easier on you, in this case you just have to make a note in your commercial version that the sources are to be found in our archive at SF. (You must make sure your data files work with the source).

In case you make changes that are not accepted in our mainstream or a branch, you might need to supply the complete source too. But this will happen only if we cannot integrate your changes.

If you don't change anything about the engine components (your data files would work directly with the source we publish), you just have to note in your published game which version of gemrb was used for it.

DLTCEP's source is also downloadable from the same place. If you change it, please also submit patches. (Unless you don't republish the modified dltcep in exe format you don't really have to do this, but i ask you as courtesy).

Also, read up on the GPL license, it helps you to understand what are your rights and obligations.

PNG is not fully supported yet. But we have some support for it. IIRC, we compute the alpha channel from the rgb values. But i think it takes very little to modify the code to fully support the alpha channel.

Right now, we support PNG only as a substitute of BMP. (Portraits, mostly).

Archived