Thoughts on Writing

Guest Pete

I don't get to play through Baldur's Gate too much anymore but it still remains one of my favorite CRPGs to date! So every now and then, I browse through the mod sites like Gibberlings3, Spellhold Studios, Pocket Plane, etc. just to see what's cooking.

I read your thoughts on writing (the sticky) and I just wanted to say that I absolutely agree with your sentiments! It was like I had just stepped into a mind that shows as much experience and appreciation for the craft as anyone! Thanks for putting it out there. :)

Thank you! I am sort of ashamed of the coward's tactic of putting it in a locked thread, but if you browse those forums, I'm sure you know how (surprisingly) contentious some of these issues are...

Now I'm sure if I hadn't locked the thread, the discussion would have been perfectly civil; but better safe than sorry, I figure :)

I don't get to play through Baldur's Gate too much anymore but it still remains one of my favorite CRPGs to date! So every now and then, I browse through the mod sites like Gibberlings3, Spellhold Studios, Pocket Plane, etc. just to see what's cooking.

I read your thoughts on writing (the sticky) and I just wanted to say that I absolutely agree with your sentiments! It was like I had just stepped into a mind that shows as much experience and appreciation for the craft as anyone! Thanks for putting it out there. :)

It's like every issue could be a potential controversy. To me, each writer has his or her own style, so it seems reasonable to take liberties every once in a while. But as you are writing for a created work, my opinion is that a respectful writer would try to honor the work as much as possible by keeping it in character. That's neither here nor there...

What I really wanted to convey was that you seem to have a very modest attitude about writing, not to mention an experience and knowledge that illuminates your humble persona.

These are good qualities and I was hoping, if you had the time, that you could provide some insight into the writing experience. :) For example, which is more rewarding: the process or the end result? Do you find it strenuous working on the computer as a primary means of your writing? And do you still have time to get out and enjoy the fruits of life? Things of this nature...I would be absolutely charmed if you took the time to give some personal insight/exploits.

Of course, if you don't want to, I wouldn't take any offense. All the forum browsers are probably grumbling like, "Don't you see what's happening? The mods not getting finished with this going on!" :)

:) Aw, shucks...

Well, I guess I'm interested in how writing adapts itself to a certain medium (like Baldur's Gate), but when it comes to writing specifically...it's hard to talk about, and I suspect I'm not the only writer who hesitates, simply because they have no idea how it actually happens. The creative act takes place in a sort of black box.

I will say I think the emotional rewards (and suffering) are different for everyone; but in the end it's something that makes you happier or more fulfilled; otherwise you wouldn't do it :)

A book that addresses these issues far better than I could is Proust's In Search of Lost Time (it's more accessible than its reputation, I swear! or at least it's worth reading for the last volume, which is the best)

It's like every issue could be a potential controversy. To me, each writer has his or her own style, so it seems reasonable to take liberties every once in a while. But as you are writing for a created work, my opinion is that a respectful writer would try to honor the work as much as possible by keeping it in character. That's neither here nor there...

What I really wanted to convey was that you seem to have a very modest attitude about writing, not to mention an experience and knowledge that illuminates your humble persona.

These are good qualities and I was hoping, if you had the time, that you could provide some insight into the writing experience. :) For example, which is more rewarding: the process or the end result? Do you find it strenuous working on the computer as a primary means of your writing? And do you still have time to get out and enjoy the fruits of life? Things of this nature...I would be absolutely charmed if you took the time to give some personal insight/exploits.

Of course, if you don't want to, I wouldn't take any offense. All the forum browsers are probably grumbling like, "Don't you see what's happening? The mods not getting finished with this going on!" :D

Archived