SCS(II) and randomness

the bigg

I use SCS(II) in my WeiDU testing suite, but need to have full reproducibility of installs to ensure meaningful results. Would changing RANDOM_SEED 3.14 to RANDOM_SEED 0 in the tp files be enough to remove the results of randomness, or would I have to alter the perl files as well?

I use SCS(II) in my WeiDU testing suite, but need to have full reproducibility of installs to ensure meaningful results. Would changing RANDOM_SEED 3.14 to RANDOM_SEED 0 in the tp files be enough to remove the results of randomness, or would I have to alter the perl files as well?

The Perl script doesn't do any randomising.

I'm actually surprised RANDOM_SEED 3.14 doesn't ensure reproducibility too, though possibly I'm misunderstanding how WEIDU's randomiser works. (I have a feeling I put that in during my own testing to ensure reproducibility, and forgot to take it out.)

Thanks for the answer. RANDOM_SEED will do a reproducible seed if you pass an integer (or an expression evaluating an integer), otherwise it'll be non-reproducible if you pass a string that doesn't evaluate to an integer (in particular, 3.14 falls in the latter cathegory).

Archived