Custom shield colors don't stay?

thelee

I can't have always been daft, right?

I first noticed it when playing IWD2. I had set up one of my characters with a major color of blue, minor color of white, which meant his shield would be bright blue (and even shows up as such in the inventory's mini-view of the character). However, in the actual game itself, the shield stays blue for a split second before turning into a generic color. I initially just passed this off as some IWD2 bug.

However, I loaded up one of my BG games today, and noticed that *all* my shield-bearing characters had generic shield colors. I vaguely remember that my PC (with major color green and minor color brown) having a vivid green shield. I went into the inventory and set the major color to green again. The paperdoll then shows a vivid green shield, and the game will render the avatar with a green shield for a while, but then it'll revert to a generic shield color fairly quickly.

In both cases simply re-setting the color in the inventory (even if it's the same color) will work temporarily. Moreover, the other elements of color on a character are still there (in IWD2, for example, my black/purple mage shows up in the game with a black/purple robe; in BG, all my shield-bearing characters' armor detailing shows the correct major/minor color combination), it's just the shield that appears to be messing up.

Is anyone else running into this? I can't think of anything that I did that would cause this (in fact, after discovering some malware in my wine installation, I re-installed everything from scratch).

Archived