Importing spells from other IE games

Guest fkirenicus

Guest fkirenicus

Heya

Time for yet another IE rookie question - or two, in fact.

1) Is it really possible (as in: can it be done without rewriting the engine...) to make Sorcerer a valid class for multi-classing? I find it strange that isn't possible to create a Sorcerer/Cleric for example. I messed a little with .2DA files yesterday, no cigar.

Right, that was slightly off-topic considering the heading. And now for something completely different - the main item on the menu :rolleyes:

2) Is it possible to import spells from other IE games (notably IWD and PS:T) without too much hassle? I guess I'll have to pay attention to BAMs and other visual effects etc., but is there anything "special" I'll have to do?

I was thinking of simply exporting spells from, say IWD, to tbg format using IEEP, and importing them into BG2 (I don't know WeiDU that much, and I guess I'll never publish my mod anyway, so...)

1) Is it really possible (as in: can it be done without rewriting the engine...) to make Sorcerer a valid class for multi-classing? I find it strange that isn't possible to create a Sorcerer/Cleric for example. I messed a little with .2DA files yesterday, no cigar.

Not really. You could change the sorcerer itself to be able to use cleric items, and give them additional divine spells (converted to arcane ones), but there's no real support for class combinations other than the standard ones (kits are a different story) - you have to fake it.

2) Is it possible to import spells from other IE games (notably IWD and PS:T) without too much hassle? I guess I'll have to pay attention to BAMs and other visual effects etc., but is there anything "special" I'll have to do?

I was thinking of simply exporting spells from, say IWD, to tbg format using IEEP, and importing them into BG2 (I don't know WeiDU that much, and I guess I'll never publish my mod anyway, so...)

Hmm, you'll have to look out for effects that are not the same (or don't exist) in the different engine varieties (see: here). I don't have experience doing this myself.

For IWD spells specifically, the IWD-in-BG2 conversion here in beta has a number of them converted to work in the BG2 engine, but there are some that it hasn't found a way to handle.

Archived