How to learn enough to help

Guest ax

I would really like to help with this project, the only problem is I don't know how to program and I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any tips on where would be a good place to start to get the skills to help with this project. Should I start with learning to program in C and any tips on how to learn this best? I have plenty of free time the next half year and this seems like a fun thing to do.

I would really like to help with this project, the only problem is I don't know how to program and I have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any tips on where would be a good place to start to get the skills to help with this project. Should I start with learning to program in C and any tips on how to learn this best? I have plenty of free time the next half year and this seems like a fun thing to do.

A few people have started by working on fixing bugs in the GUI scripts (which also include code for things like levelling up), which are written in Python, a much friendlier language to learn than C++. There are lots of friendly tutorials and things for Python, I'm sure I could dig some suggestions up if you're interested.

The GUI scripting is also a rather friendlier way to begin working out how everything works, the engine core is scary to begin with!

The developers mostly hang out on IRC (#gemrb on irc.freenode.net) if you have any questions, although obviously we read the forums too. :(

Thanks for the reply. I will give python a shot, you're right it looks a lot friendlier then C++. At least I can somewhat understand it. I will start with the tutorials on the official page and see if I can fiddle with the guiscripts after that.

Archived