Magic shields without spellcasting time malus

kthxbye

Hi @ all!

Just wondering if there are some magical shields that doesn't slow spellcasting (like some magical armors do, like the Shadow Armor). So far I haven't found any.

If they don't exist, do you plan on making some?

Sorry I didn't noticed the post till now. No, there aren't shields which grants no casting time penalty/0% spell failure rate. Now that you mention it, I may think about granting it to an item, but it would be appropriate only for a buckler imo, because for the way I see it even if an "elven medium shield" would weight 1lb it would still encumber too much mage's casting gesticulations due to the size itself of the shield.

P.S I recently learnt to appreciate "casting time" penalty a lot! I previously thought % spell failure was the only way to go, but I almost never cast spells with a 10% spell failure (not to mention higher %), and thus the spell failure rate doesn't add much to game imo, because a 15% spell failure rate is just like disabling spells while in armor.

No problem about the wait, I'm not in a hurry. Plus, I know you're working on SR (and I'm waiting for v3 to make a new install, too ;) ).

Yep I prefer casting time penalty too. :) It lets you use magic even with armor but gives heavy drawbacks (as it allows enemies to interrupt the casting) and makes the choice of the equipment much more difficult, while a % casting failure would mean I'd never think of equipping that item. I always play with casting penalty for all classes.

I agree that only bucklers (or, at most, an HEAVILY enchanted small shield) are appropriate for magical versions without casting time penalty, but it would be a welcome item anyway. ;)

Archived