Sunscorch

Aranthys

We've been discussing about this spell with demi.

For your information here is the current implementation of the spell :

Sunscorch

Level: 1

School: Evocation

Sphere: Sun

Range: Long

Duration: Instant

Casting Time: 5

Area of Effect: 1 creature

Saving Throw: Spell partial

When this spell is cast, a brilliant ray of scorching heat slants down from the sky and strikes one target of the caster's choice. The victim is allowed a saving throw vs. spell to take half damage. Any creature struck by the ray sustains 1d6 points of damage, plus 1 point per caster level (up to a maximum of 1d6+20). Undead creatures and monsters vulnerable to bright light sustain 1d6 points of damage, plus 2 points per level of the caster (up to a maximum of 1d6+40). In addition to sustaining damage, victims who fail their saves are also blinded for 3 rounds by the spell.

It's a level 1 druidic spell.

One of things I noticed was its cast time (5) that I found to be a bit too high for its level.

Demi told me that he implemented the spell with a high cast time because it had a big effect for a level one spell.

Honestly, I don't think it's *that* powerfull for a level 1 spell.

Sure, if the enemy doesn't manage to save against it's damage, it deals more average damage than Magic missile

(Magic missile average damage is 15.5), and the target is blinded for 3 rounds.

unfortunatly, the big advantage of Magic Missile is that at level 9, where enemy save ain't too high yet, it will already deal maximum damage, while sunscorch will be lagging behind damage-wise :

At level 10 :

MM is 15.5 average damage, no save.

SS is 13 average damage, save for half / 26 against undead, save for half.

At high level, the save makes it about as powerfull as Magic Missile in term of Raw damage. Against level 15+ enemies, both deal about the same damage.

At level 15 :

MM is 15.5 average damage, no save.

SS is 18 average damage, savec for half / 38 against undead, save for half.

MM is still better at this level, since level 15 enemies usually have save vs. spells of 5-6.

So, what's everyone position concerning this spell ? Do you think it needs the same casting time as Magic Missile & other damaging level 1 spells ? Do you think the current casting time is logical ?

... he told me he would only change this based on consensus, sooo... here's the thread to talk about it :)

Magic Missile vs. Sunscorch

I have to correct a few values. ;)

At level 10:

MM deals 17.5 average damage, no save

SS deals 13.5 average damage, 27 vs. undead, blinds for 3 rounds, save for half damage and no blindness

At level 15:

SS deals 18.5 average damage, 37 vs. undead, blinds for 3 rounds, save for half damage and no blindness

At level 20:

SS deals 23.5 average damage, 47 vs. undead, blinds for 3 rounds, save for half damage and no blindness

Feel free to discuss this spell and yes, if there's a general consensus I generally don't go against it. :)

Magic Missile vs. Sunscorch

I have to correct a few values. ;)

At level 10:

SS deals 13.5 average damage, 27 vs. undead, blinds for 3 rounds, save for half damage and no blindness

At level 15:

SS deals 18.5 average damage, 37 vs. undead, blinds for 3 rounds, save for half damage and no blindness

At level 20:

SS deals 23.5 average damage, 47 vs. undead, blinds for 3 rounds, save for half damage and no blindness

Feel free to discuss this spell and yes, if there's a general consensus I generally don't go against it. :)

I was off by 0.5 damage for SS and 2.5 damage for MM, you're giving me additional reasons for SS to have a 1 cast time you know ;) ;) :D

Guest guest

Just a little thought; does the spell have to be level 1? I'm just thinking that druids don't really have a nice spell selection for level 2 spells, could it go there? (unless you've already improved level 2 druidic spell choice). Then it could have a slightly faster casting time to offset this higher spell level.

Otherwise, for a level 1 spell, I think a casting time of 5 (maybe 4, or even 3 - definitely not 1) is fine. I can already see myself stacking ALL my level 1 spell slots with this for Jaheira...

Just a little thought; does the spell have to be level 1? I'm just thinking that druids don't really have a nice spell selection for level 2 spells, could it go there? (unless you've already improved level 2 druidic spell choice). Then it could have a slightly faster casting time to offset this higher spell level.

Otherwise, for a level 1 spell, I think a casting time of 5 (maybe 4, or even 3 - definitely not 1) is fine. I can already see myself stacking ALL my level 1 spell slots with this for Jaheira...

With SR V3, as a druid, you get the following spells :

Barksin

Charm person or animal

Cure medium wounds

Detect traps

Fire trap (AoE damage spell dealing 1d4 per level up to 10d4)

Flame blade

Goodberries (revised, with SCS, it's a nice spell to have, trust me)

Know alignment

Resist fire/cold (can be usefull)

Slow poison

I really don't think druids need another level 2 spell.

I've made this spell just like PnP and IWD, I don't want to change a pell level unless it is really needed.

As Aranthys says druidic 2nd level spells are already improved by SR:

- Barksin was quite useless in vanilla, but I made it as per 3rd edition, and it currently is considered a tad too poo powerful by some players (I think I'll cap it to +4 for V3)

- Charm person or animal is a really good spell imo.

- Cure medium wounds is a new addition, and for its level is quite good as it cures decent amout of damage with a very short casting time.

- Detect Traps is not great but can has its purposes.

- Fire Trap is just great, a low level AoE friendly spell which deals a decent amount of damage and can be used as a trap! Wow.

- Flame Blade is my worst enemy on this list, I'd love to make it shine, and I'm not sure I've managed to make it as I'd wish. At least it's already way more effective than its vanilla version.

- Goodberries are difficult to handle...on one side we risk to make them useless (if they cure too few hp like in vanilla) on the other hand we may end up making these berries too effective. I hope they are at leat interesting now.

- Know alignment...well...I don't think I can make it useful within BG.

- Resist fire/cold protects from the two most commons type of elemental damage, and for a low level slot it does its job quite well imo.

- Slow poison is a cheap enough spell to have at least one of it memorized to handle powerful poison effects.

I take it you don't think this spell needs improvements, which is good for me. :)

Archived