Powerful Sleep

Ayce

I am trying to create a custom spell, deep slumber (from 3e). The current 1st-level sleep spells has limitations on how many HD worth of creatures it can affect (at least in PnP rules), it is certainly not effective against creatures more powerful than an ogre (if that) in IE.

I simply wish for deep slumber to simply have an affect on all creatures (who fail a saving throw). That said, I can't see in the spwi116 file any parameter, use of EFF file, etc. that causes the limitation mentioned above. Is it simply a script associated with that spl file? If so, would renaming the spell and spell file remove those limitations and make "deep slumber" function as desired?

Thanx for the help in advance.

I don't know which tool you're using (I pefer NI), anyway the 'sleep' opcode of vanilla's spwi116 is capped by setting a parameter of the opcode itself. There are two parameters that decide min/max HD of creatures that can be affected.

Feel free to take a look or even directly use SR's Sleep if you want a Sleep spell that affects more powerful creatures, mine is set to improve with caster level.

Guest A70709

Thanx, I'll look into it.

I did have occasion to read the the readme file in part and noticed something else of interest to me.

How were you able to disable the 7th level priest spell confusion? That's a hold over from the 1st edition druid that got lost in the sphere shuffle. I always felt that druid equivalents to wizard spells should either be weaker or a level or two more difficult (i.e. feeblemind was a 5th level wizard spell and a 6th level druid spell). As such, I never understood the disparity with confusion being a 4th level wizard spell and a 7th level druid spell.

That said, part of my Nature's Best Friend mod intended to make confusion a 5th level spell, but I concluded it was futile as the 7th level spell was still there. Being as you have found a way to disable it, I can revisit the idea of adding a 5th level druid spell confusion.

On a further note, I'm guessing that disabling a spell as you did affects the spell for the whole game. I was wondering if it is possible to disable it for a single class (druid), but not for a cleric?

To prevent divine spellcasters from gaining a specific spell, you can modify the "priest type" found at offset 0x20 in the .spl file. This field can be set so either the spell is available to both clerics and druids, only to clerics, only to druids, or available to neither clerics nor druids. This should allow you to "disable" spells or change their priest/druid restrictions.

Note that this will only alter the ability of characters to learn the spell, so you might need to alter .cre files if you want to adjust the spellbooks of creatures who should/should not already have access to it.

Note that this will only alter the ability of characters to learn the spell, so you might need to alter .cre files if you want to adjust the spellbooks of creatures who should/should not already have access to it.

Doh! No wonder that didn't work the last time I tried that (I forgot to edit the .cre files), this gives NBF a lot of new ground to cover.

Still, how does one totally disable a spell (especially a priest spell) as Demivrgvs did in SR?

Thanx for all the help.

Doh! No wonder that didn't work the last time I tried that (I forgot to edit the .cre files), this gives NBF a lot of new ground to cover.

Still, how does one totally disable a spell (especially a priest spell) as Demivrgvs did in SR?

Thanx for all the help.

You simply have to put an invalid value in the "priest type" offset. :) Again, look at one of IR's spells (e.g. the old 5th level versions of cause/cure wounds) if you want to see it with your own eyes.

OK, I got around to DL SR, but it's driving my anti-virus crazy. Says it found the file DR/Agent bllg. Called it a dropper. Any idea what that might be? And how I might shut it off.

Spybot doesn't detect anything, but everytime I enter the folder I DL SR into, the anit-virus goes off again. I tried to install it once, this also set off the anti-virus, so I aborted the install.

I'm not accusing you of anything, but anti-virus is finding something it doesn't like/thinks may be malware by mistake or something.

Only other clues I can offer, is that the anti-virus alert keeps going off at the end of the download (tried 3 times before a successful download). I also noticed that the file has a DOS window icon instead of the usual G3 icon like the other mods I've downloaded. Come to think of it, that may be it (anti-virus is reading the G3 icon as some sort of invasive code). Any chance I can get a version of SR without the G3 icon?

Thanx

Mike can probably help you better than me, though I'm 100% sure there's absolutely no virus within SR.

If you send me a PM with an e-mail adress I can send you my internal version of SR V3 which is even much more updated than the V2.9 you're trying to download.

OK, I got around to DL SR, but it's driving my anti-virus crazy. Says it found the file DR/Agent bllg. Called it a dropper. Any idea what that might be? And how I might shut it off.

Spybot doesn't detect anything, but everytime I enter the folder I DL SR into, the anit-virus goes off again. I tried to install it once, this also set off the anti-virus, so I aborted the install.

I'm not accusing you of anything, but anti-virus is finding something it doesn't like/thinks may be malware by mistake or something.

Only other clues I can offer, is that the anti-virus alert keeps going off at the end of the download (tried 3 times before a successful download). I also noticed that the file has a DOS window icon instead of the usual G3 icon like the other mods I've downloaded. Come to think of it, that may be it (anti-virus is reading the G3 icon as some sort of invasive code). Any chance I can get a version of SR without the G3 icon?

Thanx

This issue never seems to go away - maybe it would if we actually got around to updating our mod packages sometime. This is not a virus, your scanner is falsely flagging the old version of WeiDU used to install the mod. Newer versions of SR will come with a newer version of WeiDU that won't trip up your virus scanner, but mods that come with WeiDU v208 should be safe to use, regardless of what your scanner thinks.

Archived