Modding Help

Guest Mugsey05

Guest Mugsey05

Hey all,

I'm brand new to the world of modding and am having a bit of trouble. I've searched far and wide on the internet, but have not yet found a way to fix said problem, so I was hoping someone here might be able to help me out.

As I said, I've never done any modding before and figured I'd start simple and make an item. I used DLTCEP and made an irresponsibly powerful item so I'd be able to easily determine how the effects were working. I finished, saved as a .itm, but can't seem to find a way to get the item into the game. I tried moving it directly into the override folder, but, though I was able to summon the item, it was unusable, nor did it appear in shadowkeeper.

I read somewhere that it is necessary to use Weidu to install the .itm file into the game, but was unable to find any directions as to how to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

All WeiDU does is install the item in the override, name it, and describe it, so if the item is unusable now, installing it won't help.

That said, here's how you would get the item into the game with WeiDU.

Create a folder called my_item. Open up a text editor and write the following

BACKUP ~my_item/backup~ 
AUTHOR ~my_item/me~ 

BEGIN ~My cool item~ 

COPY ~my_item/myitem.itm~ ~override~ 
SAY NAME1 ~My Cool Item~ 
SAY NAME2 ~My Cool Item~ 
SAY DESC ~My cool item is identified now. This is what it does...~ 
SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC ~My cool item is unidentified, so if it doesn't work, this may be why. You can't use the special features of unidentified items. To fix this, either change the Lore to Identify field on your item to 0, have your mage cast an Identify spell on it, or let a shopkeeper do it.~

Save that file as setup-my_item.tp2 and put both setup-my_item.tp2 and myitem.itm inside the mod folder, my_item.

Download a copy of WeiDU and open it up. Inside, you'll find a folder called WeiDU, and inside that, you'll find a file called WeiDU.exe. Rename WeiDU.exe as setup-my_item.exe.

Put both setup-my_item.exe and the mod folder my_mod in your game installation directory and run setup-my_mod.exe just like you were installing a mod.

If your item still doesn't work after you've identified it, you'll have to find out what else is wrong.

Not all modders find item creation easy. To me, item creation is harder than coding dialogue.

Guest Mugsey05

Hey, thanks for the help. I figured out what I was doing wrong, I had the item type set to "Robe" instead of "Armor," so the game wasn't reading it as a usable item. Stupid mistake.

Thanks again.

Archived