10th level spells as HLAs

Tonton Fred

Seen here :

"It always bugged me that HLAs for mages took up ninth-level spell slots even though they are tenth-level spells... so I decided to do something about it."

Has something like this been discussed in SR before ? I couldn't find anything by searching, but I may have overlooked it.

What is your feeling regarding this "rulechange" ?

Would it be compatible with SR as is, or would it need to be adapted ? It has recently been repackaged with help from the bigg to patch the tables instead of overwriting.

Cheers,

Fred

EDIT : seems it modifies Simulacrum & Project Image to avoid them getting OP by this, so it might not be as easy as I thought...

It's most likely technically compatible, since SR doesn't alter HLAs and, even if SR did, that mod would catch and alter correctly SR's HLAs as long as SR is installed before that mod.

This mod is a strong buff to casters since you get more a lot more spell slots than you'd get in vanilla, and thus would likely disrupt SR's balance. Assuming early ToB (24' level wizard at 5.25M XP points), a vanilla non-specialized Wizard would receive 3 slots to distribute between both 9' and 10' level spells. With that mod, a 24' level wizard would receive 3 slots for level 9 spells and 3 (even if less flexible) slots for level 10 spells (or 6 if you don't pick the extra 6'/7'/8' level spells abilities).

"It always bugged me that HLAs for mages took up ninth-level spell slots even though they are tenth-level spells... so I decided to do something about it."

Has something like this been discussed in SR before ? I couldn't find anything by searching, but I may have overlooked it.

What is your feeling regarding this "rulechange" ?

This discussion has recently come up in this topic, and I'm seriously thinking to do something like this with the Revisions serie.

Would it be compatible with SR as is, or would it need to be adapted ? It has recently been repackaged with help from the bigg to patch the tables instead of overwriting.
It's most likely technically compatible, since SR doesn't alter HLAs and, even if SR did, that mod would catch and alter correctly SR's HLAs as long as SR is installed before that mod.
SR actually alters few HLAs (e.g. Dragon's Breath, Comet, Elemental Prince Call, ...) but as Bigg says installing SR before that mod should work.

This mod is a strong buff to casters since you get more a lot more spell slots than you'd get in vanilla, and thus would likely disrupt SR's balance.
Indeed this makes archmages even more powerful they they already are. That's why for example if I had to do a similar mod I wouldn't allow to have more than one Summon Planetar per day.

Archived