Can anyone help with the Edwin romance?

Err... I've posted this elsewhere, but since I've gotten no response, I'm posting here...

At first, after we killed Mae'var, Edwin started babbling about Yakman, and I could reply with some comment about torches. I had nine options. For torches.

I thought of course I was screwed, but decided to try and fix it. To my surprise, attempting to reinstall the mod worked, and Edwin said something distinctly more Edwin-y.

I thought everything would be all fine and dandy from here on, so imagine my surprise when it happened again. This time, we're about to leave the Copper Coronet and he starts talking about Yaga Shura, which has no relation to anything. This has happened since yesterday, and I've tried to fix it by reinstalling the mod, but it gives me error messages, and since I'm not particularly computer savvy, I have no idea what to do about it.

There's multiple lines of "Error:" but there's two elements it repeats... it says "[RE/SETUP-RE.TP2] ERROR at line 164 column 7-37, Near Text: ~RE/Audio/ChanelleInstall.bat~" and sometimes after that it says "Parsing.parse_error, ERROR: parsing [RE/SETUP-RE.TP2]: Parsing.parse_error" and sometimes it just says "syntax error".

I really don't know what to do, and it's making me frantic. I've tried everything my small brain knows of, and still no difference. It wouldn't be so bad if I could continue and worry about the dialog later, but no matter what I do, he keeps stopping at the same moment whenever I reload.

What can be done about this?

Guest Guest_Ipsy_*

Sounds like messed up dialogue strings in the mod. Can you post the contents of your weidu.log? If you don't know what that is, it's a text file in your BG2 directory (called weidu.log) that can be opened in Notepad or similar.

Reinstalling mods on a saved game=bad. It can cause some very weird issues, worse than just one character babbling nonsense.

Sounds like messed up dialogue strings in the mod. Can you post the contents of your weidu.log? If you don't know what that is, it's a text file in your BG2 directory (called weidu.log) that can be opened in Notepad or similar.

Reinstalling mods on a saved game=bad. It can cause some very weird issues, worse than just one character babbling nonsense.

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods

// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod

// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // Component Name

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #0 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #1 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #2 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #3 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #4 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #5 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #6 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #7 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #9 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #10 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #12 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #13 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #14 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #15 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #16 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #17 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #18 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #19 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #20 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #21 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #22 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #23 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #24 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #25 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #26 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #27 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #28 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #29 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #30 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #31 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #32 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #33 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #34 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #36 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #37 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #38 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #39 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #40 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #41 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #42 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #43 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #44 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #45 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #46 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #49 // ???

~RE/SETUP-RE.TP2~ #0 #50 // ???

~SETUP-EDWINROMANCE.TP2~ #0 #0 // EdwinRomance

~SETUP-EDWINROMANCE.TP2~ #0 #1 // Restore Edwin's BG1 portrait

Did I do that right?

At this point I'm willing to do just about anything if it means I won't be having these problems anymore...

Uninstall BG2. Delete your game directory completely. Reinstall BG2, patch, and install your mods again.

When you install your mods, make absolutely certain that you install the Edwin Romance *before* you install Romantic Encounters.

Start a new game. You will be unable to continue with your present game because your installation is that badly messed up.

Uninstall BG2. Delete your game directory completely. Reinstall BG2, patch, and install your mods again.

When you install your mods, make absolutely certain that you install the Edwin Romance *before* you install Romantic Encounters.

Start a new game. You will be unable to continue with your present game because your installation is that badly messed up.

Okay, this sounds stupid, but... what do you mean by deleting the game directory? I'll start uninstalling it, but what part of it is the directory?

And, which patch should I install?

It probably wouldn't hurt to install it after the Edwin Romance, but you should install it before any other mods. You can find out about it here. Look under the "Fixes and Tweaks" tab in the forum header.

It probably wouldn't hurt to install it after the Edwin Romance, but you should install it before any other mods. You can find out about it here. Look under the "Fixes and Tweaks" tab in the forum header.

All tight. I'll try it then. Oh, I hope this doesn't mess things up...

Wait though, it says to install it after the official patch. What patch?

Oh no. You're going to have to repeat the process all over again if you forgot the patch.

Go through the uninstall/delete process and reinstall the game. Then get your patch.

Install patch 24698 if you have ToB.

Install the latest SoA patch if you don't.

Now install the fixpack. Then your mods. Then start a new game.

Oh no. You're going to have to repeat the process all over again if you forgot the patch.

Go through the uninstall/delete process and reinstall the game. Then get your patch.

Install patch 24698 if you have ToB.

Install the latest SoA patch if you don't.

Now install the fixpack. Then your mods. Then start a new game.

...Dang it. I guess I have to then... ah well, as long as it works.

Archived