Does breach effect on Pierce Shield bypass lich/rakshasas immunity?

Larloch

Pierce Shield works against liches and rakshasas because it's a 8th lvl spell and they are immune to spells of up to 5th and 7th lvl respectively.

Furthermore, being also a magic attack Pierce Shield bypasses spell protections (destroying one in the process), unlike Breach that within SR or SCS is stopped by Spell Deflection/Turning and similar spells.

Dispel/Remove Magic. Otherwise, Pierce Shield - lich/rakshasa immunity was part the reason to tweak this spell this way.

I can do this even though those spells are level 3?

Furthermore, being also a magic attack Pierce Shield bypasses spell protections (destroying one in the process), unlike Breach that within SR or SCS is stopped by Spell Deflection/Turning and similar spells.

Cool, so it can bypass spell immunity abjuration also then?

Thanks everyone.

Dispel/Remove Magic. Otherwise, Pierce Shield - lich/rakshasa immunity was part the reason to tweak this spell this way.
I can do this even though those spells are level 3?
Yep, because Dispel/Remove Magic aren't really considered 3rd lvl spells (technically they have power lvl 0), and thus bypass any immunity to xth lvl spells (e.g. liches and rakshasas immunities, but also Globe of Invulnerability).

That being said, remember that your chances to successfully dispel depend on the difference in levels between you and the target, thus it's not so reliable against much stronger opponents.

Note: if you don't install the dispel fix component your chance against higher lvl opponents is 0%. :)

Cool, so it can bypass spell immunity abjuration also then?
Yep, all magic attacks bypass SI:Abj (which is not something I really like but I have to live with it).

I'm fighting SCS 2 lichs and when I cast spells on them nothing happens. I assumed protection from energy or some such. I tried spamming ruby ray and remove magic on them before and still I get no messages in my log when I cast on them and no damage happens. I guess I will continue to experiment. Thanks again guys.

Pierce Shield removes only weapon-related protections (Stoneskin, PFMW, Armor), those that increase damage resistance (ProFire, ProEnergy) are only affected by Breach. Which means you either need to get lucky at dispelling it, or rely on melee combat.

Archived