Using weidu vs. NI: which and when?

ericp07

I suppose NI or Java aren't smart enough to update the counts/offsets automatically on file save or something?
That's not it at all. This is very much a user error (either bad WeiDU code or some outdated editor or whatever). I was simply explaining it slightly since he brought it up.

If you add (or remove) something, the counts and offsets are updated automatically. But in the case of abilities or effects, we sometimes can't figure out where to put it, and it all goes downhill from there.

Makes sense, and this suggests that more careful use of NI (at least) is in order...

- E

Yeah, in this case, since there's just the new content, you shouldn't bother trying to come up with code to morph an existing resource to your new item.

Now if you have some dynamic options (say the sword could be +2 or +3 depending on components installed or by user choice or whatever), then you'd want to patch or more likely look at a combination of copy and patching. But the static content just doesn't need anything beyond copying it over and adding any new strings with SAY.

... the Scimitar +5, Defender is NOT a +5 weapon...it is a +3 {what the heck everyone.}
Note a +bonus Defender weapon is an AC + THAC0 = bonus item (you can choose how to allocate the bonus points); in the case of Drizzt's sword in BG, it's a static AC+2, THAC0+3 weapon (Defender +5), as intended.

In that case: I'll name it: Scimitar +3, Defender +2 :)

Archived