Smarter AI

Guest Guest_Aigleborgne_*

Guest Guest_Aigleborgne_*

Hello David,

I've just installed SCS because I really like some components that will be fine with my mod under developpement.

I have to disagree with you on this:

"One general principle of this component (and of most of the AI components) is that enemies usually will not waste time finishing off helpless (paralysed, asleep, feared, etc) characters. With very few exceptions, BG opponents do not see themselves as there to soften up players so that later opponents can do better. They're fighting to win (albeit we as players know they're unlikely to) and so they're not going to kill someone paralysed who's out of the fight already."

While I agree that spellcasters should disable enemies and then use offensive spells on others. I have found out that it is a different story for physical damage.

It is very easy to kill a helpless target (paralysed, stunned, asleep) that a well-protected mage or high hp warrior.

Let's see an example:

Party 1: A - level 7 berserker 130hp, B - level 8 mage 50hp

Party 2: random class

"B" get paralyzed

"A" under rage is immune to most disabling spells. He can do 2 things:

- Run away (assuming his enemies will follow him)

- Try to kill the weakest opponent (with potions, he might be able to survive long enough)

[...]

"B" is finally released and will unleash his powers. Assuming "A" hasn't died during the process, party 1 can still win

With my scripts, spellcasters would still target "B" because "A" is not a threat currently.

However, physical attackers would target "A" because they would have bonus on him, no risk of kitting.

They would probably kill "A" quickly and then concentrate on "B".

"A" will only be attacked by spellcasters in the beginning so he will have time to eventually dish out good damage.

But when "B" will be dead (and it is very hard to prevent it), "A" will be in serious troubles and party 1 is likely to be defeated.

Yes, it is annoying. But AI is very limitated and humans are not.

My mage is beeing attacked by a warrior and I have no protection against? I will kite him until he changes target, he will never hit me with his weapon unless my mage gets disabled. If the warrior is the most dangerous threat of my opponents, all my allies will attack him while he is chasing my mage.

Well, that's it. For me, it is not wasting time to finish off a helpless opponent, it is often the best move because of kiting or other intelligent stuff.

Your scripts act as a human. But depending on situation, I prefer to finish off a helpless opponent that would be a dangerous threat after.

Just my 2cent.

Regards,

Arnaud

But in practice, most disabling effects in BG2 have long durations: long, that is, compared to the 5-6 rounds that typical battles take to be under control or nearly so. So unless you deliberately manage to draw opponents away (in which case you're probably deliberately exploiting AI weaknesses) it's unlikely that opponents spontaneously recovering is a problem.

Archived